Hive receiver keeps going offline, no lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve had hive installed by British Gas about 4 years ago, trouble free.

I started up my central heating in October, and found it was offline, never happened before. As there were no lights at all on receiver, I phoned Hive, and they got me back up and running. Since then it has continuously gone offline, sometimes up to 4 times a day. Hive told me it was a faulty receiver, so they sent me a new one, with fitting this cost me £100, it went offline again within 20 minutes of engineer leaving.

BG sent an engineer, i had to purchase a yearly plan, costing £99 up front, and £15 a month thereafter. He replaced the entire system, it again went offline after 20 mins (I am now adept at resetting it, and getting it back online again).

I purchased a Hive signal booster (at the suggestion of BG), but this has not helped.

I should also mention that we had an electrician check the wiring whilst on and offline, and all was fine. The boiler works fine, and the water runs as it should.

BG and Hive seem clueless, can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What version of hive is it, Is it Hive 2, given it's age?

Does the receiver have the green lights above the buttons with a (amber) green light at the top corner? Is it the top corner light that goes off? If so this is, in essence, the power light. That means there is a break in the power supply, especially if there is now a new receiver and it's doing the exactly the same thing.

How do you reset it?

I assume it’s the latest hive, as only replaced a few days ago. No lights at all on receiver. Power has been checked, electrician checked the power supply when offline and on, it definitely had power.

I get it back on again by either turning boiler switch off and on again ( this works some of the time), or taking battery out of thermostat and re starting it, or occasionally I have to reset the hub too.

Mister Banks

The receiver and boiler are wired on the same switch, the boiler still works when the receiver is off (if it was a power problem, the boiler would go off too), as I have previously mentioned, I have had the wiring checked by a qualified electrician last week.

Again, does it have an LED above the button(s) at the bottom that lights up when pressed or does it have a ring around the button that lights up when pressed? That being said it doesn't really matter as they bother work in the same way when it comes to the top right status light.

If there is no light on the receiver (top right) when it goes 'offline' then it's either still a faulty unit or more likely it's not getting any power, it can't be anything else, no matter what the electrician says. When the receiver powers up it will flash orange and then go solid green once it connects to the other devices. Replacing the batteries in the stat would have absolutely no bearing on whether the receiver is receiving power and the power light coming, the only interaction it has is changing the status light from flashing Orange to Green when it connects wirelessly.

So either you have been dead unlucky and your new receiver is faulty too or alternatively - which would be my bet if the power light on the receiver is going off - it's a loose, intermittent, bad connection to the receiver.

Easy test would be to power down and take the current power wires out and safely isolate them, then get a known working piece of cable with a plug and wire the receiver directly to a tested socket and power it up, if it works then you know it's not a bad receiver and time to look at the wiring.

Of course only do this if you are comfortable and competent working with cabling and the mains

Post pics of your whole set up, I have a feeling the permanent live has been wired into a switched live somewhere

Post pics of your whole set up, I have a feeling the permanent live has been wired into a switched live somewhere
Ooo ... now there's a thought .... but if it's wired into the same FCU as the boiler?? That being said I know of a logic that's powered up by the programmer when it calls.

Ooo ... now there's a thought .... but if it's wired into the same FCU as the boiler?? That being said I know of a logic that's powered up by the programmer when it calls.
@Madrab someone I know, obviously not me , wired a boiler into the nearest supply and it turned out to be an off -peak supply, everytime this installer visited everything was working , not me :cry:

wired a boiler into the nearest supply and it turned out to be an off -peak supply
Bet that was a bugger to trace .....

As I mentioned, I adopted a Logic 18HO, it's wired to the switched live from a Drayton Lifestyle so the boiler is actually off until the programmer calls and powers it up.

I suggested that most PCB's fail when a boiler's powered up and it may be a risk and I offered to rewire but the client's happy the way it is. Go figure.

I’ll pass on your messages to engineer when he comes back on Tuesday. I wouldn’t have a clue myself (female retired librarian).

Another forum has suggested it might be wifi interference, and Hive suggested I had the hub near a mirror ‍♀️

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back