Hive, Nest, LightwaveRF, which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new wireless thermostat, I was going to go for a cheap programmable however then I noticed the LighwaveRF Home Thermostat it states "Control and set heating schedules and timing via the free App (requires LightwaveRF Wi-Fi Web Link)" not sure if the thermostat is wireless? or if it will work without the LightwaveRF Wi-Fi Web Link? However I then noted it will also work sockets.

Now I have a problem with alarms, and one idea to get around the problem was a pneumatic time switch down stairs to work a socket up stairs so I can turn off the alarm without going up the stairs. It seems LightwaveRF will allow me to do this without all the hassle of hard wiring.

So with duel use the LightwaveRF looks more appealing.

Hive also do sockets, I think there is a Nest one? and also something called Energenie MiHome, the latter never heard of before, £28.28 for socket, control gateway £48.47, they don't seem to do a thermostat but do TRV units £74.99 for two. The bit I like is the remote control £8.49 which you can get, and it seems they also work with Nest?

However the hard bit is working out what bits you need?

So if I get just two Energenie MiHome TRV heads £74.99 and a central control gateway £48.47 and a socket £29.28 with my wife and I already having Samsung Phones is that all I need? £152.74 is a fair bit to pay out, but if it cures two problems then not so bad. Can add the remote control latter if I find we need it. Same goes for nest thermostat can add latter if required but likely not required when two main rooms are temperature controlled.

Or are the other makes better?

Well could not wait, so Energenie MiHome TRV heads, central control gateway and a socket have been ordered, crossing fingers that it does the job. Idea is to move existing thermostat back into hall and install the heads in mothers bedroom and living room. I will update once fitted, it was quite a bit cheaper than expected from Electrofix.

Well eTRV's fitted, the socket still to be done. I have also moved the main thermostat back to hall, the two rooms are slow to cool down, so as yet not sure how it's going to work. Not sure what to set the time clock to? I think having it switch off at say 5 am and back on when the valves are set to heat rooms at 7 am should ensure boiler is running when they call for heat.

The programmable thermostat I will set temperatures really low then use as a simple thermometer and clock.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
upload_2017-1-19_18-50-59.png
Why is Bedroom one greyed out? Is it simply as not calling for heat? Or is there something wrong?

View attachment 112577 Why is Bedroom one greyed out? Is it simply as not calling for heat? Or is there something wrong?

I think that means the backend service hasn't heard from the TRV recently. You might want to make sure it has a good connection to the hub. Try moving the hub closer to the radiator and see if that helps.

If not, you can try deleting it and repairing it through the web interface.

It seems to be working now, and at last got it on phone as well. But early days, there is one large difference between the standard TRV head and the eTRV head, the standard head slowly closes as the temperature raises, the eTRV motors fully open or fully closed. So it is all or nothing. Pressing the switch on the head one hears it running as it opens or closes, and once it had been locally activated it seems to work.

Sponsored Links
I think that means the backend service hasn't heard from the TRV recently. You might want to make sure it has a good connection to the hub. Try moving the hub closer to the radiator and see if that helps.

If not, you can try deleting it and repairing it through the web interface.
I know it's not an option for this application, but here is an excellent example of why wireless is never to be preferred over wired if wired is a practical option.

Big question is does the eTRV use WiFi to tell it when to open and close, or just to program the device? If the latter then the hubs and routers could all be switched off once programmed and it would carry on controlling heating without any WiFi being used.

Unlike the programmable thermostat, the eTRV has two way coms, it both receives and transmits, since one can push the local button to give one hour at 21°C then there must be some local temperature control, without needing to contact the hub. At the moment the web page says "Last seen about 5 hours ago" I assume until there is a programmed change the transmit function will remain dormant, this will extend battery life. It is set at 8 am to increase temperature, I would expect at 8:01 to read "Last seen about 1 minute ago"?

I will admit I would like to see a updated temperature, I was worried, so did sneak down stairs and read the thermometer in living room which has a RF slave in bedroom, bedroom is a little on warm side, but not too bad, it was 24°C 5 hours ago, it's 23.8°C now, which is warmer than I wanted, set to 17°C.

It seems I made an error used a 3.5mm spacer instead of a 2mm spacer for the Honeywell TRV, it seems now to be working as it should. Would still like to know where the info is stored, if supply is lost to router and hub will it all still work? Clearly can't change the times, but will it still work at times already set?

Last edited:
Big question is does the eTRV use WiFi to tell it when to open and close, or just to program the device? If the latter then the hubs and routers could all be switched off once programmed and it would carry on controlling heating without any WiFi being used.

I believe these units only store the current target temperature. If wifi was to drop and/or the service was to disappear, it will stay on the last selected target temperature and wouldn't update based on any schedule you configure. Not ideal.

upload_2017-1-21_10-59-6.png

You will note "Last Seen: about 2 hours ago" and it does not say which device was seen 2 hours ago, it seems the times are stored, as when there is a programmed change, then the devices are no longer greyed out. The main thermostat has not asked the heating to run, so even if the TRV was to call for heat, the room would not heat up. The Bedroom clearly had a problem and would not turn off, that has now been cured, not really sure if down to wrong spacer or wrong set-up. This morning I realised there was a fault with living room as well, radiator was warm and target was lower than current. So battery removed and refitted, and tried to initialise the unit again. However still not been running long enough to know if now working as it should or not.

I am not impressed on the fitting instructions, there were non with the TRV's had to down load off the internet. There is a procedure to ensure pin fully retracted before fitting, and for it to open and shut the valve to calibrate it's self. It says press this on PC then that on valve and one is upstairs and other down stairs so I think the gap between pressing button on computer and valve was too long?

Ups found out why greyed out, wife has unplugged the hub, can't really blame system when wife has unplugged it! So now have to wait to see if it turns on/off as it should, fingers crossed, now it's switched on it should work.

It seems to be now working OK, Rather disappointed when I came to set the old programmer, seems 3am starts the day and first command is on, so no real option needs to be on at 3am having it switch off at 5am and back on at 6am should ensure the boiler is running when the eTRV calls for heat, which leaves me with an off not used, which would have to be 3am. So a massive programmer can only switch the heating off once a day, but the much smaller programmable thermostat allowed it to be switched off and on 5 times a day. However it does seem to be doing the job.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back