Hive - Pumped v Gravity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had Hive installed by British Gas, Heating is working like a Dream, Hot Water Cylinder is getting nice and Hot. HOWEVER when we run the hot tap the water initially runs Piping Hot and gets cooler over about a minute then just runs cool. If we turn the Tap off, wait about a minute and turn on again its piping hot again bot cools in the same time. If the Tap is half open the water runs piping hot for about 3 minutes before gradually cooling to luke warm.

We have a Big Cylinder with Integral Header and 2 Pumps in the Airing Cupboard.

I've read the installation manual and suspect that we're set to Gravity Fed rather than Pumped..?

I've contacted B.Gas and all they say is it can't be a Hive fault its a faulty boiler, even after explaining that we have Good Heating and Hot Water in the Cylinder.

Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Sponsored Links
Andy, Yeah, absolutely, in fact we could run a Bath that you could brew tea in (almost). It changed that night, I thought I'd got my programming wrong and had not got a full cylinder, but I've got good schedules now..

Call them back and tell them that it was working before they touched it, so they can come and fix it or take the system out.

Andy

Sponsored Links
May well be the best course of Action, I was hoping that someone may have seen this before and had a 'Fix'. Thanks for your input though Andy.

Sounds to me the vent is dipped int the cold water storage tank. When you open a hot tap it siphons cold water through the open vent.
Had it a long time ago and took some working out.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

If the cylinder is hot then the issue is probably not with the hive and is likely just coincidental.

From your description it sounds more like a thermal store you have, is there a blending valve by the cylinder? Cold mains on one side and hot from the tank on the other?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back