Hive single-channel fitting to an old gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to install the Hive system to an old gas boiler in our house in France. No hot water involved, no valves.

I have a solid 2-pole power source (the original one) protected by a trip fuse close to the boiler.

My plan is to run a 3-lead cable from the trip fuse to the controller (permanent live, neutral and earth), and then to take a 4th cable back as the switched mains feed to the boiler (from terminal 3). The boiler would take its neutral and earth from the fuse directly as before.
Does this sound OK and workable?

The boiler is basically in on/off mode at the moment, so operations are pretty crude. Do I need to link the permanent live feed (L) to the common or Terminal 1? I'm working on the basis that the Hive controller is basically (or can be used as) a mains-powered switch mechanism.

As a secondary question, am I right in assuming that the range of the hub will probably not penetrate thick stone walls? I'm planning to install the controller inside the house because of this.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's a 20-year-old Buderus, originally I suspect run on fuel oil but converted to be fired by a gas burner. Power on causes burner to fire up, inner tank heated until it reaches a certain temperature, then pump kicks in to circulate the water.

probably mains voltage switching but you would be best to make sure as if its not you will damage the boiler

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'm sure it's all 220v inside. As I said, pretty basic, and things like the timers don't work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back