Hive to Tado Stat Wiring to Benefit from Glow-worm Energy 15r Modulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tado install to use boiler modulation feature as opposed to on/off switching.

A couple of questions for any Tado experts/users please!

I'd like to replace my heating and hot water S-plan (radiators and hot water tank) control from the current 2-chanel Hive receiver and wireless thermostat so that I can make use of the heating modulation feature of the boiler - Glow-worm Energy 15r

From online investigations I'm of the opinion that I would need a Tado kit that includes the "extension" kit as opposed to the "wireless receiver". This would be a direct replacement for the Hive 2-channel receiver (same backplate terminal wiring)

I would need a physical 2-wire connection from the +/- ebus of the boiler to the +/- low voltage connection on the extension kit backplate.

What I'm unsure about is what conflict this would cause with the already wired stat wiring where I joined the 2 stat wires together to complete the circuit after removing the the wired stat allowing the hive to control this.

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

Sponsored Links
Ebus is usually manufacturer specific, so you would need Glow worm controls for that particular boiler.

I would need a physical 2-wire connection from the +/- ebus of the boiler to the +/- low voltage connection on the extension kit backplate.
All you are acheiving there is on/off switching using low voltage rather than mains voltage, if you want opentherm OT which is what you describe you will need to use ebus

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes, my understanding is that ebus allows a more granular control of a boilers output. I'm trying to get my head around how or if I can make this work with the set up I've described.

Sponsored Links
That's not what I wanted to hear! Sooo...how can I get the benefit of modulation from my boiler?

Glow worm controls, or perhaps weather compensation.

You can get the benefit of it by using glowworm controls. The easiest and closest system assuming you have a smart phone would be the Glowworm MiGo controller paired with the Glowworm smart wiring center.

The MiGo is an internet based controller that will give weather compensation on the heating circuit while still allowing higher temperature flow for hot water heating.

Thank you all. I'll investigate the MiGo controller. Not something I was aware was available.

Thank you all. I'll investigate the MiGo controller. Not something I was aware was available.
Just make sure you get a "Glowworm Smart Wiring Center" for it as well, as on your boiler you would require it to get the MiGo to control the zone valves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back