Installing Tado on a Glow Worm Energy 30c Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping to gain some advice please.

I have a Glow Worm Energy 30c Combi boiler installed in 2020.

I've bought a Tado system - I went for the UK V3+ version as I didn't think my boiler supported OpenTherm. However, from reading around it appears it is a modulating boiler, but uses its own eBUS interface to communicate with the wireless ClimaPro2 thermostat rather than OpenTherm. Have I got that right?

As such, is there a way to connect my Tado system with this boiler? Is this done only by wiring into the 230V block (X1 in diagram below) to turn the boiler on/off, or is there a way to keep the boiler's modulating capabilities? The instructions I've received from Tado after specifying my boiler only mention to wire the Tado wireless receiver into the the 230V terminal block but make no mention of what to do with the existing ClimaPro2 wiring (X106 block).

Grateful for your thoughts?

1700483574073.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you must wire the Tado into the on/off terminals, the climapro interface will not work with Tado, but you are mistaken the boiler will still modulate when wired on/off

you must wire the Tado into the on/off terminals, the climapro interface will not work with Tado, but you are mistaken the boiler will still modulate when wired on/off
Thanks for your reply Ian.

Just to be clear I have a wireless Tado receiver (UK version) which gets wired into the boiler. By on/off terminals do you mean the 230V power supply terminal X1 on my diagram? If so that would mean connecting brown to live, blue to neutral, grey to RT and black capped as per Tado's instructions.

What about the terminal X106 on my diagram? I presume I disconnect my existing wireless receiver from the BUS terminals which is how Glow worm's own thermostat communicates with its modulating function. Is this correct? How would Tado communicate with the boilers modulating function if its just connected to the on/off terminal?

How would Tado communicate with the boilers modulating function if its just connected to the on/off terminal?
It doesn’t, the boiler will modulate down better using its own controls as that’s the best way, on/off will come on high and go off high, and might overshoot the temperature.

Sponsored Links
It doesn’t, the boiler will modulate down better using its own controls as that’s the best way, on/off will come on high and go off high, and might overshoot the temperature.
Agreed, but for the aid of the OP - the boiler can still modulate by itself, based on its flow and return temperatures.
This is a far cruder and less efficient method, than allowing the clever algorithms in an eBus thermostat to manage the boilers modulation.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back