Hive Wiring to Replace ST9400C1000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

Thanks upfront for any advice.
Tried wiring up my Hive, can get power and hear it click, it says the heating is on, however the oil burner & pump don't power up, think its something in my wiring, when I put the old system back in it works again.

Current working setup

1670610408321.png

Attempted Wired to Hive, after reading the Doc I see 4 is unused to also tried a like for like in pin 3

1670610478087.png

Sponsored Links
You have no common supply according to your drawing and you probably need to set to gravity, which I’m not sure if the single channel is compatible?

You have no common supply according to your drawing and you probably need to set to gravity, which I’m not sure if the single channel is compatible?
ah ok, yeah think its dual channel for that,
If I get one would the wiring still be the same?

ah ok, yeah think its dual channel for that,
If I get one would the wiring still be the same?
No the wiring is different, as you wouldn’t need a common, terminals are linked at mains voltage - you need to ensure your boiler supports this, looking at the wiring for existing I’d say it does.

Sponsored Links
They are different devices. Terminal 4 of the Honeywell becomes live when the central heating is selected to be 'on' unlike the Hive this terminal actually does something. With Hive Single Channel, terminal 4 does nothing. You have even written "unused" on your diagram :rolleyes:

So, you have no wires connected to the Hive that will actually control anything. The wires in the Honeywell 4 would go Hive 3 heating ON and you also need the link between L and 1 as mentioned by @CBW

Presently you have a dual channel programmer, but you aren't using one of the channels (Hot Water) so a Single Channel Hive will replicate what you have.....Except, bear in mind with what you propose you are replacing a timeswitch with a programmable thermostat, so when the heating is switched off by the the Hive thermostat because the house is warm, the hot water will go off too.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
C
They are different devices terminal 4 of the Honeywell becomes live when the central heating is selected to be 'on' unlike the Hive this terminal actually does something. Hive 4 does nothing.

You have no wires connected to the Hive that will actually do anything. The wires in the Honeywell 4 would go Hive 3 heating ON and you also need the link between L and 1 as mentioned by @CBW
I think I follow, but I did put both the wires in 4 to 3 in the hive and nothing happened

No the wiring is different, as you wouldn’t need a common, terminals are linked at mains voltage - you need to ensure your boiler supports this, looking at the wiring for existing I’d say it does.
Thanks, will see If I can get the dual channel and give it a try.
My radiator water tank is in the loft, so is gravity feed, not sure about hot water tho.

C

I think I follow, but I did put both the wires in 4 to 3 in the hive and nothing happened
Because the link between live and common didn’t exist, so it won’t do anything. @stem - does the Hive single do gravity hot water?

@stem - does the Hive single do gravity hot water?
No you need the dual channel for that. Assuming your hot water is heated by natural circulation and is not pumped, the boiler live goes to Hive dual channel 3, and the pump to 4. then the Hive is set to gravity mode. If your hot water is pumped, the it's back to the drawing board.

• Thanks
No you need the dual channel for that. Assuming your hot water is heated by natural circulation and is not pumped, the boiler live goes to Hive dual channel 3, and the pump to 4. then the Hive is set to gravity mode. If your hot water is pumped, the it's back to the drawing board.
so I need to figure if the hot water is pumped, judging by the hot water pressure in this house I would say nope haha

Because the link between live and common didn’t exist, so it won’t do anything. @stem - does the Hive single do gravity hot water?
? so would take a wire from L to Common and then just put the pump and burner lives into 3?

Sorry , must be like explaining to a 5 year old
So either go dual channel with CBW method or Stem does reflect what you mean?

1670614272033.png

so I need to figure if the hot water is pumped, judging by the hot water pressure in this house I would say nope haha
Nope, nothing to do with the pressure. What is meant by gravity hot water is it’s heated by natural convection and not a pump.
? so would take a wire from L to Common and then just put the pump and burner lives into 3?
Yes, this would work, but find out if pumped or gravity hot water.

Cool, Thanks Gents, for taking timeout to help.

Will give it a try and keep you posted :)

• Thanks
Don't forger if using a single channel Hive, that would mean that the Hot Water would only be heated when the Hive says the heating should be on, so bear in mind that in the summer if the house is warm and the Hive is up to its set temperature and has switched off; no hot water, also even in the winter someone has a bath the hot water has run out and the house is up to temperature, the hot water won't be heated until the temperature drops and the Hive switches back on.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back