Hive wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone
Just a quick question regarding my hive receiver wiring. I've switched over from a center wireless to a hive.
In the center receiver the earth was never used so when I wired up the hive I did not connect it.
I put the live and neutral in the obvious place and the grey into port one of the hive and the black into port 3 but not connected the earth. Everything is working as it should but should I connect the earth. I'm not sure if it's connected in the boiler or not.
Second picture is not mine it's one I copied
5 core heat cable from a fused spur connect to the boiler
Any help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_123632.jpg
    IMG_20201212_123632.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20201212_121642.jpg
    IMG_20201212_121642.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 157
Sponsored Links
I’m led to believe it’s there for testing purposes (for electricians), the hive will be double insulated and doesn’t require one.

I’m led to believe it’s there for testing purposes (for electricians), the hive will be double insulated and doesn’t require one.

Thanks Chris

My worry is that the second picture shows the earth connected. But this was just a picture I copied.

In my first picture that was my old center set up and as you can see the earth was never used.

Sometimes it’s just easy to park it there, I quite often do it on Honeywell thermostats when the earth is there, but Siemens wireless ones (I fit these as well) there’s no earth tether.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it’s just easy to park it there, I quite often do it on Honeywell thermostats when the earth is there, but Siemens wireless ones (I fit these as well) there’s no earth tether.

Cheers that's put my mind at rest

No problem parking the earth there, but is only requiered if you are using the nest receiver to power the stat, parking it there is fine

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Since 1966 the regulations have required an earth to be available with fixed wiring at every appliance, until 1966 lights were exempt, so the earth wire must be there, but it does not need to connect to anything. It seems there was a problem where light fittings were changed for non double insulated, so the IEE (Now IET/BSi) decided an earth must be provided even if not used.

Since 1966 the regulations have required an earth to be available with fixed wiring at every appliance, until 1966 lights were exempt, so the earth wire must be there, but it does not need to connect to anything. It seems there was a problem where light fittings were changed for non double insulated, so the IEE (Now IET/BSi) decided an earth must be provided even if not used.
Yes but are rf receivers run off a bit of flex from the boiler classed as fixed wiring ?

Yes but are rf receivers run off a bit of flex from the boiler classed as fixed wiring ?

I wouldn’t think so. I thought anything ran off flex was considered non fixed?

BS7671:2008 said:
411.3.1.1 Protective earthing
Exposed-conductive-parts shall be connected to a protective conductor under the specific conditions for each type
of system earthing as specified in Regulations 411.4 to 411.6.
Simultaneously accessible exposed-conductive-parts shall be connected to the same earthing system individually, in
groups or collectively.
Conductors for protective earthing shall comply with Chapter 54.
A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a
lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point.
OK not latests, but it does not actually say if fixed or not, clearly it is flex from the "lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point." so fact that the small amount of flex from ceiling rose to lamp holder needs a special mention to say it does not need an earth, then it seems everything else needs the earth. Yes it seems daft that a class II extractor fan still needs and earth taking to it, and common sense says take it to the FCU only and twin flex to fan, however it seems being pedantic that would not comply.

And as to fixed or the consumers installation as it is called
The Electricity Safety said:
“consumer’s installation” means the electric lines situated upon the consumer’s side of the supply terminals together with any equipment permanently connected or intended to be permanently connected thereto on that side;
since the boiler is intended to be permanently connected, even if plugged in, it comes under an EICR and all items need an earth cable available and clearly the inspector needs to remove the terminal covers for inspection.

It was pre the landlords requirements for an EICR considered that
yes it is.

It seems where there are multi multi-core cables between devices your not forced to use the green/yellow core in every cable as earth, you can over sleeve, even if it is poor workmanship, still allowed, however with for example a tank thermostat the single green/yellow core has to be earth even when the thermostat is class II, and over sleeving the green/yellow would result in a code C2 at least with an EICR.

The problem is it has been like that for a long time, but until the landlord EICR electricians left the central heating to the plumbers to inspect and test, we considered it as "in-service electrical equipment" not the installation, so errors made by plumbers and heating and ventilation engineers are now coming to light. Even big stickers saying installed by Joe Blogs 2004 phone xxxx xxxxx for service, so it is very clear who made the error.

That's only your opinion, if you do a search on control wiring even the electricians cant quite agree on what is fixed wiring and what is not, bit of a grey area ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back