Hive with Drayton programmer

The whole reason for the thread is a bit silly.

He only wants the water on for 20 minutes once in the morning.

His objection to fitting the Hive properly is because it only has 15 minute divisions - 15 or 30 minutes.

So, to get the Hive to do what is required, the thermostat could switch off at whatever temperature the water is after 20 minutes.

I agree it is silly, but that's what he wants. As it is now, I don't know how he deals with the temperature difference between Summer and Winter if the time - cost - is the determining factor and not the temperature.

Sponsored Links
I also can't see the need to control a hot water system using the internet, it takes time for a hot water system to both warm up and cool down, so although the hive system may work well with the USA hot air system, where the air is circulated so a single thermostat can control the whole house, but with the hot water system the thermostatic radiator valve sets the temperature for each room independently, if the lock shield valve is set spot on then the whole house may warm up in an hour, but if not set correctly it can take two hours to warm up, so no real need to switch on using the internet.

The problem is the next step using TRV is so expensive. To control the time for every room can clearly save money, bedrooms only heated at night, living room not heated at night etc. But Evohome is really expensive. Nest and Hive only monitor the heat in one room, as such they are useless as a thermostatic controller, it is only any good as a remote switch. They are designed for a home where the air is circulated between rooms not for use with radiators and TRV's. I did have a house in Greenfield in North Wales with hot air heating, but this needs to be installed when the house is built, there are ducts everywhere, and vent panels in every door, it was a failure and most houses in the estate had it replaced with hot water systems. To be fair likely it was the way it was installed which was the problem, rather than the system.

My son does have either Hive or Nest can't remember which, it is turned up to max as the TRV control the temperature. OK for him as he work odd hours and often has to stay at work an extra 5 or 6 hours. But that is unusual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back