Hmm..I think I might need to make my own door lining. Unless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive opened up my old doorway and need to install a door liner and door. Problem is the widest lining thickness ive seen is 131mm and the wall is around 140-150mm.(This includes plaster on walls)

I could hack off all plaster but its the old,black, dusty, horrible stuff and I wanted to just skim over it,hence, making the wall even thicker !!

Apart from hacking off and making a mess doess anyone have any advice. I was thinking of buying some timber and making my own liner to fit, enabling me to just skim over and fit architrave.

Any advice on what timber size and type is best and any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

thanks
Jack

Sponsored Links
I had a similer problem once, what I did was use two pieces of timber side by side, and so that the joint did not show I used a wider piece of timber for the door stop to cover the joint

Sounds like a good idea, might try that.

Only thing is I would find it hard enough to fit 1 door liner without matching 2 up and getting them perfectly square!

Good option though, Thanks

I suppose one advantage of making your own door lining is you can make it to the size of the new door as long as the door is square. Reducing the amount of work on the door to fit?

just buy some X 6x1 prepared floor boards and make your own lining.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Ive opened up my old doorway and need to install a door liner and door. Problem is the widest lining thickness ive seen is 131mm and the wall is around 140-150mm.(This includes plaster on walls)

I could hack off all plaster but its the old,black, dusty, horrible stuff and I wanted to just skim over it,hence, making the wall even thicker !!

Apart from hacking off and making a mess doess anyone have any advice. I was thinking of buying some timber and making my own liner to fit, enabling me to just skim over and fit architrave.

Any advice on what timber size and type is best and any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

thanks
Jack

http://www.jastimber.co.uk/products...l/internal-door-casing-set-150mm-product.html

It's not that difficult to make up a lining and you can make it whatever size you want.

Sounds like you need 6x1 PAR, can rip it down to suit if you think it's too wide.

I had a bloody heavy door to hang a year ago. I bought some sawn 2x6 and sanded it down... Just built my own lining out of it... The door (56kg) still pulled the bloody lining away from the door, until I put some 6 inch screws through it into the brick work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back