Hob, oven, isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope you can help.

Currently I have a hob in the kitchen running from this isolation switch. I want to add an oven below the hob (the oven comes with a plug) can I tap into this power to install a plug.

My issuing being, all other power sockets in the kitchen are behind tiles so access those are a nightmare/ redecorating required.

I've seen some people run the cable from the isolation switch into a Cooker Connection unit. Then a 6mm cable from the Connection unit to the hob, and a 2.5mm2 cable from the same Connection unti to a single socket allowing the oven to be plugged in. Both being isolated from the same switch on the wall. Would this be acceptable?

Any help appreciated.

20221205_202734_001.jpg
20221205_202740.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is the circuit protected by a 32 amp MCB ?
Is the circuit protected by an RCD ?
If answers to both are yes ,then the circuit can likely be extended to include a socket outlet.
What kwatt rating is the hob ?
Is there anything else on the circuit ?

What is the rating for the hob and the proposed cooker?

Blup

The oven is - 2.3kw 13amp fused plug
The hob is - 5.8kw fuse rating Is 25.8..

Unfortunately the house has an old style fuse box (we will be getting a rewire next year once some other building work is done) This is just a quick fix as we've just moved in and the old hob and oven aren't much good (very old)

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
In theory you're over the total capacity of the fuse but in practice neither appliance will be used at full power at the same time, or if they are for a limited time.

That said I would definitely get at least an EICR done first, the wiring must be pretty old if you have wire fuses, and probably hasn't been checked recently

Blup

The oven is - 2.3kw 13amp fused plug
The hob is - 5.8kw fuse rating Is 25.8..

Unfortunately the house has an old style fuse box (we will be getting a rewire next year once some other building work is done) This is just a quick fix as we've just moved in and the old hob and oven aren't much good (very old)

Thanks again.
Does this mean there is no RCD protection on the cooker circuit ??

Thanks bulp.
It seems like an okay short term solution. We know a rewire is coming. It's just in the new year when an extension is done.

Terryplumb - yes just the old wire fuses in the box! Much needed upgrade.

No RCD = extending the circuit to include a socket is not permitted.
By whom. The regs are not statuary. It is a temporary situation which has never had a RCD. Let common sense prevail.
In theory you're over the total capacity of the fuse but in practice neither appliance will be used at full power at the same time, or if they are for a limited time.
Diversity.

Diversity that’s it, flameport has a good video arguing 4mm is sufficient

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back