Oven & Hob rewiring : a sanity check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of replacing an old electric oven and hob. Previously the oven was simply plugged into a 13amp socket which is part of the kitchen ring main (which also has a fridge and a double socket). The hob was connected to it's own spur from the consumer unit (32amp with 6mm cable)

I'm double checking but i believe the new oven is 3kw (or under) which from reading posts on here i believe means that it'd be okay to just plug in the same as before

But given a choice would you run both the oven and the hob from the dedicated spur? The 6mm cable has it's own isolator switch. How would you wire that up if this choice was a preferred one (and indeed possible)?

thanks
paul

Sponsored Links
depends on the total power. with a 32A breaker you hsve 7.3KW. aslong as both wont go over that then they cane both be put on that circuit, altho itll prob be easier havin the oven on the ring

andrew2022 said:
aslong as both wont go over that then they cane both be put on that circuit

Heard of diversity? And learn how to spell.

paul2004 said:
I'm double checking but i believe the new oven is 3kw (or under) which from reading posts on here i believe means that it'd be okay to just plug in the same as before

From what you said, I think the load on the ring is already pretty small. So you should have no problem putting it on the kitchen ring providing it's 3kW or under. If you do put it on the ring, use a good quality plug, and make sure your not loading any socket at all over 3kW.

paul2004 said:
But given a choice would you run both the oven and the hob from the dedicated spur? The 6mm cable has it's own isolator switch. How would you wire that up if this choice was a preferred one (and indeed possible)?

Personally, I would run them both from the seperate circuit.

It would depend on the rating of your hob, if it is very high, it'd keep the seperate circuit dedicated to the hob.

the hob has a max rating of 6.4kw (although knowing my cooking i doubt i'll ever have it all on) but seeing as that is pretty close to the 30amp rating perhaps i'll just stick the oven on the ring. It isn't loaded too much as you say and that's how it was before. I didn't realise the hob was quite so high.

thanks again
paul

Sponsored Links
Let's see...

Oven = 3kW
Hob = 6.4kW

Total = 9.4kW.

9400/230 = 40.87amps

30% of 30.87amps = 9.26amps

Total = 9.26+10+5 = 24.26amps.

Put it on the seperate circuit.

Duh what? You do the diversity ju-ju dance which tells you it is ok to put both on the one 30A circuit, then conclude that they should go on separate ones?

About this kitchen ring. Did you mean there is a ring which does the kitchen and nowhere else, or just mean the bit of ring going through the kitchen?

If faced with a choice of putting your oven with the hob or with all the rest of the sockets for the whole house, I would put it in with the hob. At least you know what is on the cooker circuit, but there is no control what else might get plugged in to the general circuit.

The only time the hob is pulling full power is if every ring is on full. All in use on simmer will only use a fraction of full power.

I mean with the hob. :p

The seperate circuit for the cooker, rather than the kitchen ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back