Hob, RCDs and 17th ed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician won't be able to come round for a couple more weeks, but all the wiring is in place for my new hob. I'm thinking of putting it in myself (I know it must be notified, but we really need to eat! and he can test and cert it when he gets back).
I have two questions.
Normally the hob would go on the nonRCD side (possibility of high leakage)-there is no socket. However,has this changed for the new 17th ed? I believe it has.And if so, what if it causes nuisance tripping?
And the 2nd question -and I feel really silly asking this -when I turn off power at the CU (the 100a switch on the front, not the DNO switch) it does cut off power to the busbar? I know the main tails are still live. I'm sure it does, and I will test it before I do anything, I just wanted confirmation.

Sponsored Links
Modern hobs and ovens should not be earth leaky and shouldn't cause nuisance trips.

If it does then the hob will have to terminate on the non RCD area of the CU and an RCBO will be required for 17th compliance.

The main isolation switch, both at the CU and (if installed) between the DNO head and the CU should be 2 pole and isolate both the neutral and phase (live) feeds.

I agree with Chri5 about the modern appliences, and in any case the choices you have are:
-Any cable in the wall that it is not deeper than 50mm need to be in a metal conduit.
Or
Use types of armoured cables I think one of them is BS8346 (may be BS8436).
Or
protect it with RCD type protection (in addition to the CB), in my opinion as Chri5 recommended the best option is the option of RCBO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back