Consumer units, 17th ed & RCDs

Sponsored Links
They're empty - you can populate them with whatever you need.

You will need an RCD + MCBs or you could use RCBOs.

No point being supplied with an RCD if not needed.

They're empty - you can populate them with whatever you need.

You will need an RCD + MCBs or you could use RCBOs.
Ok, an RCD takes 2 slots. So that leaves just 3 available outputs.

So do I understand that something like this
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-8-way-fully-insulated-rcd-board-consumer-unit/99580
which says it comes with an RCD, means the RCD is loose in the kit (so the switch shown in the picture is just an isolator) and the assembled unit actually gives 6 outputs?

No point being supplied with an RCD if not needed.
Under what circumstances?

(Forgive me. CUs are something I have just taken for granted; it's just a boring fuse box. But since busybodies are never happy unless they're changing rules it appears it is time to be more informed.)

Sponsored Links
Do you know what a RCBO is?
Yes. But what is the point if an RCD is fitted?
There isn't one.
The units with a main switch could be fitted with 5 RCBOs = 5 circuits. Plenty for smaller properties.
Or MCBs where the circuits did not require any RCD protection.
Or a combination of both.

That 8 way Wylex item linked to earlier is 8 ways + an RCD as the main switch.

The cu in your link is specifically for use on a TT supply.

What does TT stand for? I used the word "outputs" deliberately to distinguish from "ways"

TT is the type of earthing system, it simply means that there are two connections with earth (Latin: Terra); one at the transfomer and one at the origin of the installation. RCDs are usually always required if you have a TT earthing arrangement. Wikipedia has a good article on earthing systems if you are interested.

"Outputs" is not a recognised term, I think you mean circuits - each circuit will have its own protective device (Fuse, MCB or RCBO) and there may be additional protection from a RCD depending on the design. The protective devices could take 1, 2 or 4 ways in a consumer unit.

There is a massive price difference between say, 1 RCD plus 5 MCBs compared to 5 RCBOs.

Yep; and depending on the the type installation would determine which one you would install. Also would you want a single fault to switch off the entire installation, or would you just want the circuit where the fault has occurred to be switched off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back