hob smells of gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have a reliable but old hob top. Sometimes when I turn it off there remains a smell of gas for a very short period of time.
Should I worry or is there something I need to do? It is exceptionally clean and looks almost new and no debris in the way.
This hob top is used everyday. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it might be passing. As per Madrab, get someone in, and if it’s a concern, don’t use it until you have.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. What is a lazy gas tap?
Gas taps on hobs and cookers are finely machined fit, they have a lubricant called graphite grease, which seals them and allows you to turn them, the grease can dry up and takes a bit longer to totally seal, nothing really to worry about and an easy fix

Is this something I can do myself (little knowledge), or should I ask a plumber?

Thank you so much for your help, you have put my mind at rest. :D

As @Chris_W says gas engineer with CKR 1 , to be honest you might struggle to find one, not everyone with CKR 1 will have any more idea than you do, what has to be done , to be honest if it is letting bye a little , I would expect you to still have a very small flame until it sealed properly as the gas had already been ignited, could be a slight leak after the gas tap , possible but unusual

Thank you so much for the replies, is it something I should worry about as urgent as the smell of gas soon goes?

Also the flame burns clean and no loss of pressure and the smell happens infrequently.

Last edited:
Anyone would be ill advised to tell you not to stop using it untill it has been tested, you could call out your local transporter 0800 111 999, they will come out for free, but in all probability will just disconnect it and tell you to get someone in, but they carry extremely sensitive gas detection devices so might be able to say if it definately is gas leaking for free, they are not under any obligation to do so, but most are decent lads and will spend 10 mins having a quick look for you

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back