Hole in my carpet ...........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unknown to me, over the past few weeks the central spindle of my swivel char has been slowly dropping lower and lower, causing a hole to appear in my carpet where the spindle has been digging in when I've moved the chair.

I've now rectified the chair problem, but how to mend the hole in the carpet?

The hole is about 2 inches in diameter, and of course frayed at the edges.

It's a dark-ish patterned carpet. The repair doesn't need to look great, it just needs to patch up the hole.

Or is the best option to simply put a rug over it? :)

Sponsored Links
I assume that your swivel chair has caster wheels?

...in which case you should be using a caster wheel chair mat under it!

...no carpet is designed to stand the abuse these chairs dish out, even office grade carpet tile manufacturers forbid their use without these mats

with regard to your original question (assuming you are serious) then you will need to have a spare piece of carpet. Ideally it should be "patched in" to ensure a pattern match and fixed using heat seam tape. The correct method is beyond the scope of a DIYer and a Pro would hit you with a minimum fit charge which would equate to a cost equal to him fitting you a new carpet.
A new carpet would be a more sensible approach in any case (along with mat!!!)

The caster wheels don't seem to be causing a problem (yet?) - it's the central spindle/vertical axle that has dropped and caused the hole.

Guess i'll have to try and find a caster wheel chair mat then. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back