Hole in wall, letter box sized, how do I fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, our new flat has a hole in the kitchen wall about the size of a letter box. The hole has been cut out of the plaster board and the insulation behind is visible.

1) I would like to fix the hole so it looks good
2) I would like the fix to be strong enough that I can mount a shelf over the fix

Please see links to photo below:

I would be very grateful for some advice as I do not know the best way to do this.

Thank you for your help.

Aturin

Sponsored Links
Get a piece of timber 16 to 17 inches long,,,, say 2" x 1" or similar. Mark the centre of the piece of timber and the centre of the hole. Put a screw into the centre of the piece of timber,,, only screw it in a few turns as it's just to hold onto. Slip the piece of timber (lengthways) into the cavity and line up the centre. You then fix this piece of timber with 2 screws each end of the letterbox hole. Pull onto the centre screw, and put 2 screws through the plasterboard and into the timber lined up behind the plasterboard. Put 2 screws above the orange tile, and the other 2 screws above the white tile. When you've fixed the timber, take out the temporary "centre" screw,, cut a piece of plasterboard to size then fix it into place with screws or a grab adhesive. You're then ready to tape over it etc ready for decoration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back