repairing a hole with dot & dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i've got a hole about the size of a double socket just ever so slightly bigger, the wall im fixing to is dot and dab, the area where im repairing will house a new socket.

so i'll need it strong enough for me to be able to cut the hole and put the new plasterboard box in.

how far from the socket should i be to ensure a good strong bond?

also is it worth taping and filling the joins prior to plastering?

cheers

Sponsored Links
seems everyone is as clueless as me on this one :)

i've decided just to cut the square out for now, and i'll try see how i get on with battons

cheers

You could cut out a larger square around your existing hole, dab a new piece in of equivalent size and cut a new hole out the right size. The nearer the hole for the dabs the better but you could always press some fresh addy into the void via the new hole afterwards. Or you could plug and screw a backbox to the wall and bond any gaps flush to the board before skimming. Always tape joins, silly not to for the sake of a bit of cheap scrim. And I don't see why you'd need battens.

seems everyone is as clueless as me on this one :)

i've decided just to cut the square out for now, and i'll try see how i get on with battons

cheers

Well apologies on behalf of everyone here for not answering you between 12:47 and 4:51 :rolleyes: It's been an hour now, and you haven't thanked keyplayer yet:cool:

Just fill the hole with adhesive, pressing your new box into it. Flush off the adhesive and scrim around the box onto the surrounding board.

Sponsored Links
apologies that came across rude sorry.

thanks for the post, so its possible i can fill the hole with adhesive, then sit the box into this and flush the board up to it? that would take the guess work out of cutting i guess.

when i need to patch it in to exsisting plasterwork do i leave a gap above the board to meet old with new, i/e scrape back the plaster?

then tape and joint fill, what can i use to finish? would it be board finish?

thanks guys sorry if i came across rude, im working nights at the minute

cheers fellas

are you skimming the wall or patching in?? multi finish if skiming the wall, easy fill if you are patching in.

leave the plasterboard flush to the wall in either case in my opinion.

heres a pic of where im at:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

any tips/suggestions at this point?

yes i know before anyone mentions the earths are'nt sleeved and no capping is on the cables, im getting round to it :LOL:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
bit dissapointed with the results, guess i'll just have to sand it best i can and try my hand with easyfill

any advice on how i can get it flush with exsisting plaster?[/img]

It doesn't look too bad as you don't appear to have sanded it yet. It would have been better if you had chipped a band of the original skim coat all around to accommodate the tape, after dabbing the new board level with the old. (Board not skim) This would have made it easier to cover the scrim. However, if you sand it down with a nice flat block and then repeat the easifill sanding process a couple of times, using a wider band of filler you should get a good enough finish on it. Or just skim the whole wall.

cheers i'll bear that in mind. i could always knock a bit of the old skim off still to bring the new level with a new coat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back