Filling Hole and Fixing Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently had a new oven fitted and I have attempted to fit a new cooker hood but the plaster board wall is not strong enough to support it. I had intended to cut a square hole into the board and screw a piece of wood into the thermoblock behind it but upon cutting the hole I have found the Gas Pipe and a big piece of dot and dab behind it so I can no longer get the wood in. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get this hood up ? I cannot fit it straight into the thermoblock as the gap between that and the plasterboard is too big. I have contemplated filling the hole with dot and dab and hopefully getting a couple of plugs into that?

Any ideas? Thanks.

PS. I'm not a DIY expert!

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to use some plasterboard adhesive to pack out some strips of timber placed at convenient positions for the hood's fixing holes, let it go off and then screw these timbers to the wall through the adhesive. Then affix the hood to the timbers.

Thanks. Sounds like an idea. So just use some plaster adhesive and push the wood into it and finish off with a couple of screws ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back