Plasterboard hole behind electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into our new house and redecorating the living room. Removed an electric fire exposing a nice hole in the plasterboard!

Would appreciate some advice on how to best go about filling this hole? A bit of research brought me to the idea of cutting the hole so it’s square and fitting a new piece of plasterboard - but how do I make it flush with the existing board?

Also should I be concerned about the chunks of wall missing from, I assume, ripping off of the original dot and dab to install the fireplace?

If relevant, house is 15 years old with fireplace there from new. Wall is mostly external but that bit behind the hole likely joins to the gable end of next doors garage roof.

New to DIY but happy to have a go at most things and try to do a proper job with (hopefully) minimal bodge!

Attachments

• 7275F781-EFD5-430B-9FBB-C320C3FDD61E.jpeg
    7275F781-EFD5-430B-9FBB-C320C3FDD61E.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
Your right in you need to dot and dab a new piece of plaster board in , you need to drop it in so it's about 3mm below the surface then pop a skim on top which will level it to the rest of the wall

Was there something sticking out of the back of the fire which required that piece to be cut out?

Thanks for the reply!

Nothing sticking out the back of the fire, just looks like it was to recess the fire by an inch (10-15mm between plasterboard and wall) for aesthetics.

Will it stick okay to the areas with missing brick or just pull more away? Also, would I be wanting to prime with PVA at all?

Sponsored Links
dont see the point in mixing adhesive and using a board as well.
you may as well just mix hardwall or bonding coat and fill it out, and not worry about the plasterboard.
then skim over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back