holy tree stump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a holly tree stump out, well at least just below ground level to carry my border on. I have tried digging round it and going to about 3 foot and cutting all roots as I go. But it got no give yet at all. I cannot tie it to a car and pull out as its in my garden. Any advice whats the best way to get these pain in the asses out ?

Sponsored Links
grind it. Probably about 40 quid for a days hire.

If not then its just plain old hard graft. An axe and a mattock are both useful tools for this job.

If you just want to cut it down low then a good method is to dig around the base then try power wash/ hose the trunk to clean off the soil then use a chainsaw. As soon as it touches soil it will blunt the chain so a spare is handy.

Other options include saw into it a bit then break off a chunk with an axe/ splitter

Sounds like you've made the right start, digging around it and chopping the roots. As you are finding out there is a lot of them and it won't budge until they are all gone. I found that some long handled loppers helped. You can plunge them into the soil around any smaller roots you find. Not great for the loppers so don't use your best ones :) The last root I took out I used a bottle jack to lift it a snap the last few roots. It needed a little hole and some wood packers to get it in the right place. Just keep at it, it's a tough job but satisfying.

The problem I have got is it right up against my fence so I cant get behind it and think the roots may ave gone under into next doors garden. Ovious I cant get them :(

Sponsored Links
If the stump is Holy you should really get it deconsecrated before doing anything to it.

Got the the thing out today I am done in aching all over. Deconsecrated I never done that. Am i going to hell now ?

It sounds like you didn't leave a long stump sticking out of the ground.

If you had left it about 4 feet long, and then loosened the soil around the root, all you need to do is use the long stump as a lever and rock it back and to. This loosens and snaps the roots. After a few minutes you will be able to remove it.

Hope that helps you next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back