Home-brew Bio Diesel

• Thread starter overlandrover
  • Start date
O

overlandrover

I know it's a bit too DIY for the General Discussion board, but I'd like to hear from anyone producing their own bio-diesel.

I've seen various reactors on the market, and I'm interested in getting one myself (but I'm not smart enough, nor have the time to build my own):

Greenfuels
BioDiesel Gear
BioDiesel Warehouse

Few of these websites make any mention about the by-products, in particular the glycerol, and how to dispose of it.

I've heard that you can:
:confused: Use it in soap, but how many soapmakers do you know?
:( Compost it, but it causes stuff to coagulate and inhibit oxygen supply.
:evil: Burn it, but it gives off noxious gases
:evil: Incinerate it, but you need special equipment, and it's not really green, is it?
:eek: Or do you just pour it down the drain??!!

What do you do with yours?
I'd be interested to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
Hiya mate.

Most of the processors that you buy aren't really that great, many of them actually need to be modified (thermostats and other items need to be swapped for more durable equipment). There are also stories of processors melting. :eek: And when you consider that you can spend around 2 grand on one, it isn't really a sound investment. I think you'd be far better off buiding your own processor, but as you say, most people don't know how or have the time.

Have you been on the veggie oil diesel forum? (not sure if I'm allowed to post the link) There are a couple of people on there that will build you a very good processor for around £300. These are people that have been making biodiesel for years and know all that there is to know.

I've actually started using SVO since my local bio place shut down. I'm thinking of building my own filter station for WVO, I can't be bothered with making bio. :)

As regards the glycerol, your methanol supplier may collect it for you. There is a company near to me which supply Lye and methanol, they say they will collect all waste products, so it's worth asking.

Thanks for that, LionsDen.

Knowing that some ethanol suppliers may also take the waste products is worth knowing, and at least it's a question to ask when enquiring.

I've seen this biodiesel reactor for a fraction of the price of the FuelPod:
www.yorkshiregreenfuels.co.uk

Does anybody have any opinion/experience with this one compared to others on the market?
It looks like the type that you can adapt and modify if you needed to!

Better spending your money on the right engine/car then parts to modify it for SVO (straight vegetable oil). Better for the environment (no toxic chemicals) and easier.
Think its this very week when a convoy of "diesel" powered vehicles set off from UK to Greece (Grease to Greece). Begging local restaurants for waste oil to put in their cars to get them to GREECE.....FANTASTIC! :D

http://www.fatfinding.com/

Sponsored Links
Good point Mike.
My 205D will run on straight veg oil. And it's tax free now for the first 2500litres per year I beleive.
Generally speaking the older diesel engines (non common rail) run on veg oil no worries as long as they have the bosch fuel pump.

Watch out though, the price of veg oil has shot up, new is about 1pound a litre, filtered old stuff isn't much cheaper and straight out of the fryer crusty dirty stuff is going for 50p a litre on ebay in bulk!!

Not much saving to be had these days (if you are doing it for money reasons)

HTH
-Dan

Back