bio diesel processor home built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just in the finnishing process of building my own bio diesel processor
it conssits of an 90ltr square tank with a conical bottom finnished with a 1 /1/2 bsp iron socket
i have fitted a site gauge onit so i can tell what amount is in it for processing i will be using used cooking oil from a local cafe who at the moment has 1000 ltrs in a big tank, so i am going to releive him of some i reckon i will be able to produce bio diesel for around 20p per ltr after transferrification process which get rid of all the glycerine and fats etc
The way its done if anyone is interesed is the oil is heated to around 55deg c and then a catylist is made from methonal and caustic soda
after doing a titration of the used oil to find out what totals of caustic to methonal is needed usual would be somewhere around 6.5 grams of caustic to every 1 ltr of methonal the amount of methonal is 25% by volume to the amount of oil to be treated
The catalist is mixed with the hot oil and pumped around the system for around an hour after that it need to stand for a bout 8 hours or more
then all the waste glycerine sinks to the bottom which is drained off
and is totally bio degradeable and can be put in the compost heap
what you have left is the bio diesel i should be washed after this to remove any exess methonal but a mate of mine never did and he used it in his vw caddy 100% for 3 years
With the price of diesel going up and up if more people made there own it could be a kick up the backside for the petrol companies
by the way you are allowed to make 2500 ltrs per year for your own use without paying any duty on it, even if new cooking oil was used
it can still be made for 60p per ltr

i have just modified my processor on the heating of the oil i was planning on using an imm heater but i have now built a small sealed pressurized heating system using the imm heater and a special small tank i have designed and had made its works with an expansion tank
and a pump with inhibitor in the system the system is charged to 1 bar as a combi boiler is i have used a what is called a side winder coil made of 22 copper thats inside the unit and it heats the oil with the water in the coil so alls safe to use no sparks etc with methonal in the tank thats the last thing you want
it should be up and running in a couple of weeks now and i hope i might be able to produce the machine i have so far spent £350 on the development and parts

it does have several saftey features IE overheat stat/low pressure switch/ and a stat in the imm heater / and a stat in the oil

i have found it very rewarding making it and will enjoy driving by garages watching others filling up

my next project is a hydrogen processor made from stainless steel
and works by electrolosis , water H2O 2parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen the gasses can be seperated and used with a petrol engine,
anyyone can see how it all works by gooogle and put in " joes cell"
and watch the videos and other information available it makes interesting reading and the videos are interesting as well

well i hope i have not bored you to tears have a go and stick 2 fingers up to the high taxes :LOL:

mick:cool:

Sponsored Links
Stick two fingers up? We use 60 million litres of fuel per day in the UK. How much can your local cafe supply?

Sponsored Links
...you are allowed to make 2500 ltrs per year for your own use without paying any duty on it, ...

Very interesting. By my very rough calculations if you say an average of 10 iles per litre this would give you enough for 25,000 miles per year. I doubt that BP are worried just yet though.

A lot easier to convert red to white ? no? caustic, then wash.
Naughty naughty libby. I expect that a certain "soft" spoken member will be along shortly to chide you and challenge your integrity.

Stick two fingers up? We use 60 million litres of fuel per day in the UK. How much can your local cafe supply?
that`s only a litre per person :confused: make the immigrants bring their own chip fat with them :idea:

Back