Home brew Self levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, bit of advice sought...

Just finished levelling a floor with self-levelling compound. Worked fine, got the hang of it in a small stairwell (8m2). Now I've got a much larger room to do - one problem, the cost of the stuff!

I was buying 25kg bags for about £13 and used 7 due to the floor (poured concrete) being pretty bad (up to 40mm off). The large room is the same and will probably take 30+ bags.

What I want to do is level to an extent with "something else" like a cement/sand mix, and then use the self-level compound for the last 10mm or so.

Can't seem to find what mix I might use to make something like a self-level compound. I don't care about setting time, the house is unoccupied I can leave it for a few days.....

Any suggestions what mix I might use?

Sponsored Links
You can make the compound go further by adding builders sand. I have used this succesfully and doubled the coverage.

As for the deeper parts you would need someone to verify this but using something called slurry would do it. I think its a 2:1 cement sand mix. not tried it only read about it and stand to be corrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back