Levelling extension floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice to level a concrete floor in extension. House is 1958 bungalow with mid-70's extension.

Extension is 18' wide where it meets with the wood floor of the main building and extends 8' out.

The floor is concrete and approx 10-12mm lower where it meets the wood floor, and approx 38-40mm lower at the exterior wall.

There is a channel approx 4"x 3" around the edges to accommodate heating and mains.

So 5.4m x 2.4m with drop from 10mm to 40mm on short edge.

I was thinking frame around the edge (to protect the channel for pipes etc) then fill with self levelling compound, but i'm thinking it's going to take about 30 bags.

Could I use a few bags of pre-mix concrete to bring the deeper edge up about 20mm, then levelling compound?

Or what other options?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

That's pretty cheap, but only good to 6mm thickness.

So something like a 4:1 mix across the whole area to bring up to 5-6 mm shy and then self leveller on top ?

Or just fill the deeper bit and then use a leveller that can fill a bit deeper - like 20mm?
(maybe 6-7 bags of https://www.tilevalley.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=101)

and will the screed be OK feathering into the slope where it meets ?

I was looking at the screed method, but I don't have access to a mixer, and no way to hire one right now, all i've got is a decent drill and mud mixer attachment, is it viable to mix it up by hand/shovel with one person mixing and one laying ?

Sponsored Links
You aren't doing that much, so why not get some exercise and knock it up yourself? It'll keep you fit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back