Home-made Insulated Plasterboard (less than HALF PRICE)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need at least 6 insulated plasterboard panels, but can't understand why they're so expensive compared to the sum of their parts. For example:

1. Gyproc Thermaline Tapered edge Plasterboard, (L)2.4m (W)1.2m (T)22mm
£65 (B&Q) x 6 = TOTAL £390

vs.

1. Gyproc Standard Tapered edge Plasterboard, (L)2.4m (W)1.2m (T)9.5mm
£14.14 (B&Q)

2. Jablite Polystyrene Insulation board (L)2.4m (W)1.2m (T)25mm
£12.68 (B&Q)

Sub-total £26.82 x6 = £160.92

3. Soudal Polystyrene contact adhesive 1kg
£4.99 (Toolstation)

TOTAL £165.91

So £165.91 and glue them together myself, or pay an extra £224.09 to have them pre-glued.

Am I missing something? (apart from the manual method having double the insulation thickness)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Better using the 12.5mm board, it's the same price, stiffer, better acoustic performance, better fire resistance....nowt wrong with your self-glueing plan though.

Aren't the insulated boards you can buy PIR foam instead of jablite?
If so, thermally PIR boards would be better... but cost more than jablite.

Why not buy PIR insulation and 12.5mm plasterboards from a builders merchant and save even more and have a better product? as the foil taped-up becomes a vapour barrier too.

Sponsored Links
Am I missing something? (apart from the manual method having double the insulation thickness
Yeah - B&Q prices

here is 12.5mm plasterboard with 25mm celetex £42 incl vat

the delivery might kill it, but you should get similar if you ring around the merchants near you

Yeah - B&Q prices

here is 12.5mm plasterboard with 25mm celetex £42 incl vat

the delivery might kill it, but you should get similar if you ring around the merchants near you

I used B&Q as an example since it's well known and stores nationwide, but it's not just them.

Even the site mentioned in your post, the pre-glued board is 43% more expensive than the sum of the parts:

1. Celotex Insulated Plasterboard - Thermal Laminate Board 2400mm x 1200mm
£41.94 x 6 = TOTAL £251.64

vs.

1. Celotex PIR Insulation Board | 2400mm x 1200mm | 25mm
£16.56

2. Siniat GTEC Standard Wallboard Tapered Edge | 2400mm x 1200mm x 12.5mm
£11.99

Sub-total £28.55 x6 = £171.30

3. Soudal Polystyrene contact adhesive 1kg
£4.99 (Toolstation)

TOTAL £176.29

Not sure if that's profiteering, but doesn't look good politically with the UK having the worst insulated housing in Europe.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing this. In regards of the adhesive can you use this expanding foam as have some left over? Or would the adhesive you linked would be a better solution.

Foam isn't ideal for sticking insulation to plasterboard- you want zero gap between the 2. That stuff is fine for fixing pb or insulation to a wall (where it can fill all the unevenness)

Please let us know how you get on. I should imagine the manufacturers have a big machine that sprays on the adhesive and pressures the surfaces together to produce a reliable bond. That product you linked to looks like complete crap at any price, it's not even PIR.

Very true, and polystyrene ceiling tiles can be very nasty dripping in a house fire. Though I thought we'd given up with the polystyrene idea and switched to PIR boards as in post #6.

Incidentally, I've checked the fire rating for the PIR board. It's rated E (on a scale of A to F, with F being the worst) so PIR doesn't seem significantly better than polystyrene in its fire rating.

Prices fluctuate with supply and demand. Around 6 months ago when I last came across this question the prices were about on par. Now the pre-made board does seem to be about 50% more than the sum of the parts. I'd imagine that common products like plasterboard and PIR board are starting to come down again from their recent ridiculous peaks, whereas lesser used products might have had more stable pricing

Give it a go, just make sure you're comparing apples with apples, thickness and materials wise. PIR/PUR insulation is considerably better than polystyrene(EPS/XPS) thermally and typically more money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back