Home Network Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I work in IT but im not really a network person and I don't understand AV stuff like Sky and Free Sat.

We are doing up an old house and we need to urgently start thinking about what cabling will be needed.

Im going to install my server and patch panel and switch into some kind of wall mounded server cabinet with good airflow to keep it cool and dust free.

I also want to get free sat installed as far as im aware one of these will allow me to watch TV in anyroom that has a coaxial F type female connector.

I plan to run 3 Ethernet and 2 coaxial to every room do you think that will be enough?

My dad who is helping me has installed at least one of the below boxes into each room to allow me to install the cables. In the picture it has an electrical cable but this will be removed as i know your arent supposed to have two together.

Do you think it will be big enough?

View media item 78067
I am seeking the advice of a professional but just wanted to post on here for some advice.

Cheers
Paul S

Sponsored Links
Standard Cat5/6 cable is about 5-6mm diameter and PF100 or similar Coax cable is about 6-7mm

From the pic supplied it looks like you have oval not circular conduit and assuming thats 2.5mm T&E cable shown I think it might be too tight, even with 3xNetwork in one conduit and 2xCoax in the other.

Best to grab a couple of scrap bits of coax and network cable and see how they fit in the conduit.

Twin WF65 cable will fit easily (9 x 4.8mm) but bear in mind that it has twice the losses of WF100 so not really suitable for long runs at LNB frequencies. Up to 20m is generally OK for LNB connections and 40m for RF/UHF/VHF.

Sponsored Links
Twin WF65 cable will fit easily (9 x 4.8mm) but bear in mind that it has twice the losses of WF100 so not really suitable for long runs at LNB frequencies. Up to 20m is generally OK for LNB connections and 40m for RF/UHF/VHF.

I have read that WF64 is much thinner but suffers from loss I don't plan to run it further than 20 meters so should be ok. I will get some ethernet cables and see if they fit.

There's no such thing as WF64 cable AFAIK. Was that a typo?
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cable.htm[/QUOTE]

Yes Im getting confused I can't access that site from work thinks im trying to hack it or something.

Although ive used that site before even if it is a bit of a mess of a layout, Im sure that sight recommends to use CT100 I think the guy above was talking about twin RG59 ? (is that good enough for HD? and possibly 4k in the future? )

http://contactitsolutions.co.uk/coaxial/cables-multi-coaxial/rg59-b-u-2-x-coaxial-cable-wang

I can't access that site from work thinks im trying to hack it or something.
Click here and scroll down to the notes. If your company IP address has been blocked, it might say why:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

Although ive used that site before even if it is a bit of a mess of a layout, Im sure that sight {site} recommends to use CT100 I think the guy above was talking about twin RG59 ? (is that good enough for HD? and possibly 4k in the future)
CT100 hasn't been manufactured since 2005 and it was air-spaced dielectric anyway.
RG59 is used (I think) for CCTV. From memory, it is steel cored and is really unsuitable for anything else. Stick with WF65 or WF100 if you have room.

That box is useless for AV and network stuff - too shallow. If fit 47mm boxes if possible, though with brick it's a bit of effort so 35mm should do. You may well get stuff to fit in a 25mm box, but it'll be tight and you'll struggle to get the cables (especially the coaxes) to fit in without kinking.

Run 2x coax to each "AV point", plus at least 2 Cat5e or Cat6. Use a good quality coax (foil screened) and it'll do satellite or terrestrial. If you want 2x sat + terrestrial you can use a diplexer to combine them and then split them at the TV end, or you could run 3 coaxes.
If you are thinking of piping TV around (eg having a Sky+ box in the living room and being able to watch it in a bedroom, you'll want an HDMI extender and the good ones need 2xCat6 cables - so you ideally want a minimum of 3 Cat6 cables to each point (two for an HDMI extender or switcher, 1 for network).

As others mentioned, the conduit is woefully adequate. Also, it's done in the usual sparky way of stopping the conduit short of the box. Enlarge the hole in the box and stop the conduit flush with the inside face of the box. That way, you've a smooth conduit all the way and can add/change cables later if needs change.

Thanks for your advice the boxes cant be changed well im not going to ask my dad i'll tell you that so they will have to do. What about running thin Coaxial Cable?

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/thin_cable.htm ?
or flat ehternet cable?

That box is useless for AV and network stuff - too shallow. If fit 47mm boxes if possible, though with brick it's a bit of effort so 35mm should do. You may well get stuff to fit in a 25mm box, but it'll be tight and you'll struggle to get the cables (especially the coaxes) to fit in without kinking.

Run 2x coax to each "AV point", plus at least 2 Cat5e or Cat6. Use a good quality coax (foil screened) and it'll do satellite or terrstrial. If you want 2x sat + terrestrial you can use a diplexer to combine them and then split them at the TV end, or you could run 3 coaxes.
If you are thinking of piping TV around (eg having a Sky+ box in the living room and being able to watch it in a bedroom, you'll want an HDMI extender and the good ones need 2xCat6 cables - so you ideally want a minimum of 3 Cat6 cables to each point (two for an HDMI extender or switcher, 1 for network).

As others mentioned, the conduit is woefully adequate. Also, it's done in the usual sparky way of stopping the conduit short of the box. Enlarge the hole in the box and stop the conduit flush with the inside face of the box. That way, you've a smooth conduit all the way and can add/change cables later if needs change.

You've already been told than thin coax will do - but the losses are higher. Not a problem if yu have a good signal, but it eats into your margin. You don't need flat cable (it's not ethernet cable BTW - it's <whatever spec* you use> cable) - but you'll need to be more careful in managing it in the box. Regardless, you'll be restricted in what you can do.

But I would say you are being (to use the vernacular round these parts) ar*e about t*t. Now is by far the best time to be sorting out boxes and conduit - get it wrong because you don't want to upset your dad and you'll have it "annoying" you every time you want to do something that's not practical (or more difficult than it needs to be).

* Eg Category 6 UTP

Ok good points well ive got someone coming around tomorrow to offer some advice if the boxes need to be re-done well ill just pay someone to do it right if i have to Thanks.

You've already been told than thin coax will do - but the losses are higher. Not a problem if yu have a good signal, but it eats into your margin. You don't need flat cable (it's not ethernet cable BTW - it's <whatever spec* you use> cable) - but you'll need to be more careful in managing it in the box. Regardless, you'll be restricted in what you can do.

But I would say you are being (to use the vernacular round these parts) ar*e about t*t. Now is by far the best time to be sorting out boxes and conduit - get it wrong because you don't want to upset your dad and you'll have it "annoying" you every time you want to do something that's not practical (or more difficult than it needs to be).

* Eg Category 6 UTP

Why not DIY ?
All you need to fit boxes is : hammer and chisel, masonry drill, screws and wall plugs.

In hard brick, drill lots of holes to the depth you want, then use the chisel to chip off the brick. In softer material, just use the chisel. Ideally you want a small chisel for chipping out hard material, and a wide (bolster) chisel for getting a flat surface. In practice you can make do with whatever you have - it might just take a little longer.

Once you've got the hole deep enough, drill and plug a hole to take a screw (or screws) through the fixing holes in the back of the box to hold it in place.

What is harder is getting the conduit into the box. I have some metal nibblers, but if you're patient you can open the hole up with nothing but a file.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back