Home Network + Storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some ideas and hardware suggestions to acheive the following.

Basically, I want the ability to have a networked harddrive (with RAID5 backup) that is accessible from my PC (hardwired) and my laptop (wifi) along with the likes of my xbox 360 (you can connect these to a media centre PC) and maybe some device that can stream media to my TV in the bedroom and living room.

That doesnt make much sense when I read it back but not sure how else to explain it.

Any ideas and suggestions would be welcomed along with any questions to help clarify my requirements.

Thanks in advance!

Andy :oops:

Sponsored Links
Don't know about the xbox360 (but it should), but you can buy the apple airport extreme (£119). This is a wireless (N) router, you can plug a USB hard dive in to this and all your computers will be-able to access the hard drive.

Airport Extreme

Extreme with 360

apple help

AppleTV

It seems that the xbox360 will NOT connect to any network that has security, wether apple or not.

For the number of devices you're discussing, I would recommend having a separate server to handle the storage. Maybe look into "windows home server", or alternatively take an old box if you've got one laying around and install the RAID array in that.

I've gone down that route and have all my media stored on a spare machine tucked away with the wife's and my laptop as well as an HTPC in both living room and bedroom acessing it. Works a treat!

Sponsored Links
Back