Honda 476 throwing drive chain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Honda HRX 476 C, QXE , Serial No 1143728.

throwing drive chain.

This has happen three times now, cutting my lawn.

Putting the chain back on the two drive sprockets top and bottom chain goes round two black rollers held in tension with long spring.

Tension seems OK nice and tight, would there be drive sprockets or rollers that are worn coursing the chain to throw off ??

The same happen MAY 2021, then I just refitted the same chain and spring been no bother till now 2 years later.

Could it be the tension spring needs replacing or Chain ?

Pictures of chain Push chain in to show slack is this normal ?

Tension spring refitted and is under tension.

Nipped spring ends and finished lawn chain stayed in place.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• Honda Chain 1.JPG
    Honda Chain 1.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Honda Chain 2.JPG
    Honda Chain 2.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Both sprockets are desperately worn, and the chain will have suffered too!
John :)
What the procedure to remove and replace the sprockets, and caltalouge numbers for those and chain, if you wouldn't mind helping.

Thanks
John

Best to be sitting down when you hear about genuine Honda parts prices......!
I'm scratching what's left of the brain cell here, and as I recall the sprockets are pinned onto the shaft.
This isn't gospel but as far as I know the parts are:
Chain 23853 - VK8 - A50
Roller sprocket 23281 - VE0 - M10
Gearbox sprocket 23121 - VE0 - M12
This little lot will be over the ton for genuine bits, but the chain won't be a genuine Honda item - the rest are.
Do check your part numbers before ordering, a great supplier is Gateshead Mower Centre (Junglebusters) quoting all of the numbers you have.
Their phone number is 0191 4692020

Best to be sitting down when you hear about genuine Honda parts prices......!
I'm scratching what's left of the brain cell here, and as I recall the sprockets are pinned onto the shaft.
This isn't gospel but as far as I know the parts are:
Chain 23853 - VK8 - A50
Roller sprocket 23281 - VE0 - M10
Gearbox sprocket 23121 - VE0 - M12
This little lot will be over the ton for genuine bits, but the chain won't be a genuine Honda item - the rest are.
Do check your part numbers before ordering, a great supplier is Gateshead Mower Centre (Junglebusters) quoting all of the numbers you have.
Their phone number is 0191 4692020
Thanks John

I think replacing sprockets is above my pay grade, never done anything like them before.
While the Machine runs and cuts great don't know if it's worth repairing.

Cheats solution : could I just shorten the chain ?

Regards

john

Unfortunately I think the odds are well stacked against you here.......it's rare that I've seen sprocket teeth so badly worn!
I would doubt if there would be enough slack to pop a link out of the chain, but it's worth a try I guess.
Perhaps there is a broken machine available somewhere - ebay perhaps - but a repair with new parts isn't really viable, which is a great shame.

Unfortunately I think the odds are well stacked against you here.......it's rare that I've seen sprocket teeth so badly worn!
I would doubt if there would be enough slack to pop a link out of the chain, but it's worth a try I guess.
Perhaps there is a broken machine available somewhere - ebay perhaps - but a repair with new parts isn't really viable, which is a great shame.
Thanks John

It has done a lot of lawn cutting over the years probably had my moneys worth.

John aka Burnerman
There should an award for you on DIY with all the help you freely give to anybody with problems I know you have helped me a lot.

Regards
John.

Roller Sprocket How to fit ? is there a threaded screw fitting ?

Can it be reach in place ?Honda-HRX476-Roller-Sprocket.gif

I'm pretty sure that the sprockets are held onto the shaft with a device called a 'roll pin' which can be drifted out with a parallel punch and hammer.
As with everything on this particular machine, access is difficult....I've never had the need to replace this sprocket so I can't comment - sorry, but it could be visible if the machine is completely upside down.

Thanks for the positive comments! You'll realise by now that all my advice comes with an unconditional 10 minute guarantee :LOL:
John:)

I'm pretty sure that the sprockets are held onto the shaft with a device called a 'roll pin' which can be drifted out with a parallel punch and hammer.
As with everything on this particular machine, access is difficult....I've never had the need to replace this sprocket so I can't comment - sorry, but it could be visible if the machine is completely upside down.

Thanks for the positive comments! You'll realise by now that all my advice comes with an unconditional 10 minute guarantee :LOL:
John:)
I will make sure I follow instructions before the 10 min are up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back