Honey well thermostat change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have the Honeywell t40 installed and it’s not been working well. It’s analog one and the misses wanted a digital one.

I have for the Honeywell DT90E - The chap in screwfix said its a straight switch. But it’s clearly not ha ha.

Currently I have 5 wires and the new thermo needs 3 - I don’t want it to go bang but it can’t be that hard to do.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I can only see 4 wires and the new one needs 2 - good start.

You do not need a Neutral in the new thermostat so terminate the black wire in a connector block and position safely so it doesn't touch anything else.
Do the same with the earth wire if there is not a terminal for it.

Brown to A
Grey to B.

Thank you for the help.

Correct 4 wires. I saw 5 terminals and made an assumption I had five wires.

Analogue thermostats, like Wave, Nest and EvoHome are far better than digital thermostats. Digital thermostats simply turn boiler on/off they may have anti-hysteresis software to try and smooth out the on/off, but the room temperature is like a sine wave going up and down all the time, however the Analogue thermostat turns the flame in the boiler up and down, so the room temperature is near enough a straight line.

However you show two digital thermostats, both switch simply on/off, what is important is what to are aiming for, why does your wife want a change?

Sponsored Links
There are three basic thermostats.
1) On/off (digital) with no anti-hysteresis software, there will be a gap between off and on temperatures which for temperature control is bad, but for anti-cycling control is good.
2) On/off (digital) with anti-hysteresis software, these control the temperature better, however also cycle the boiler more, so better for room temperature control but not as good for anti-cycling control.
3) Modulating (Analogue) really good at room temperature control, these can be further split into single room control, and multi-room control, the latter uses the thermostatic radiator valve (TRV) with an electronic head to monitor each room and the thermostat is more of a hub collecting information then telling boiler how big of a flame is required.

Although the Analogue should in theory be better, they are expensive, and not all boilers are equip to use them. Boilers come in two main types on/off and modulating, the on/off it does not matter what you want, it can only be switched on/off, the modulating boiler is sub-divided into two types, those with access to BUS and those which can only be controlled using return water temperature.

The latter have a problem, only way it can work out if heat is required is to run for a short time and monitor return water temperature, so these boilers don't run on warm days with fit a thermostat, it should be in a room kept cool, with no outside door, and no other form of heating, and the thermostats job is not to control temperature, the TRV does that, but to turn off boiler on a warm day, and the more basic the thermostat the better.

84067_P
This thermostat Honeywell Y6630D may look simple, however it is very clever, it has anti-hysteresis software built in so instead of simply switching off at the set temperature, it starts to switch off/on before the set temperature to ensure it does not over shoot, it also has a system to monitor the RF link, if lost it will fail safe, i.e. off, it may have an analogue dial but it is a very clever digital thermostat. This one however
93829_P
looks very clever, but has no anti-hysteresis software, and if RF is lost will simply continue heating or cooling it has no fail safe. OK it is programmable but it is not reliable and the room temperature with raise and fall with a large sine wave.

The price is a give away, £126 to £67 there is a reason why the Honeywell Y6630D costs so much. Yet the Flowmasta 2219SX is also programmable far cheaper £33.40 and because it does not have wireless works very well, but my point is digital display does not mean better control. Since no idea what boiler you have or what the thermostat is there to do, I can't say which is best for you. However both have one unused terminal, and with new one you don't need the neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back