honeywell 3 port mid position valve fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have been scouring the forum for information, wonder if anyone could offer a bit of advice?

Just moved into a new (rented) property with a honeywell 3 port valve controlling the DHW and CH. When we first moved in, the valve must have been stuck somehow, as when calling for hot water the radiators would come on but the valve would not allow water to flow through the indirect coil in the hot water cylinder. having thought it was a faulty valve we called an engineer via the landlord.

The engineer came out and said he had 'fixed' it temporarily but that it would need replacing and would return with a new valve. The landlord has since said that he will not replace it unless it fails again.

The question I'm asking really is can anyone hazard a guess as to what the engineer did to temporarily fix it?

Currently both DHW & CH work and are controlled by thier respective stats. I've read that a stiff valve can sometimes be loosened by manually pushing the lever back and forth a few times and wonder if this is what the engineer has done.

The other thing I'm wondering (will check later) is if CH will work independantly. DHW does, but I didn't check that port was closed when asking for CH only.

The lever itself on the valve is midway between auto and open. I had thought it should be in the auto position?

Hope all that makes sense, and thanks in advance for any help...

Sponsored Links
I expect the microswitch was stuck, if it hadn't been use for a while.

The slider on the end doesn't move in the various positions, it should be free with no resistance when activated

thanks for the reply.

Would I be right in saying that the lever would be loose for only part of the length of the slot when in the DHW only position. But otherwise, as you say, loose for the whole length of the slot.

If it was a microswitch, could I expect the valve to be ok now?

Am just a bit concerned that the engineer told my wife it needs to be replaced. (wasn't there, so couldn't speak to him myself)

thanks again

Yes in hot water only mode the lever is free half way, or if both heating and hot water is on all the way.

If it works, it works, I'm with the boss on this, "if it ain't broke don't mend it"

Sponsored Links
Fair play....that's what the missus says!

I just don't like the words 'temporary' and 'fix' in the same sentence! :)

Thanks for your help,

Best I get on with clearing the garage :evil:

Times are hard, so if you can generate a bit of extra cash by making a small job a big en. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back