Honeywell 3 port valve issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

A few months ago I upgraded my room thermostat to a CM67 and boiler timer control to a ST6400C Programmer.
The system seems to have gone haywire, but the wiring I believe is correct. (I took pics to compare the wiring before and after).
With the HW only on via the boiler timer, the rads get hot. With both CH and HW on via the boiler timer the rads get hot (even if the HW only is activated by the cylinder thermo). The room thermo can be off with the HW on and the rads are hot. Could the 3 port valve be playing up? I can hear it ticking which it never did before. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes the 3 port valve would be the first thing that I would test.

sounds as though the valve is stuck at mid point.
I would see if the actuator head can be removed off the valve spindle and check to see if the spinde is easy to turn between finger and thumb.
The room stat when calling for heat, makes the 'white' wire of valve live, this in turn drives the valves motor until it triggers micro switch No 1 at mid point.
At this point it depends if the 'grey' wire is live or not.
If not the valve stays at mid point.
If live the 'grey' drives the motor to CH only.

If room stat is off or not calling for heat, then 'white' is not live' so motor would unwind due to return spring, back to HW. Yours does not appear to do this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back