Honeywell AG6 not triggered by Securitech 800L panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, and thank you in advance if anyone can help here:

Issue:

In User mode:
• When alarm triggered the internal sounder works but the bell box does not trigger - no sound, no strobe.
• Bell test triggers the bell box sound but no strobe.

In Eng mode:
• Eng bell test triggers alarm sound
• Eng strobe test does not accept the given code number (I get the ‘reject’ sound when entered)

Details:
• Securitech 800L /Intellisense AG6 bell box (now replaced with a brand new Honeywell AG6 with identical wiring pattern)
• 800L panel, self installed some 15 yrs ago and battery replaced two years ago & tested as working.
• System has been powered back up after a few years down due to a redecoration & issues with the wiring getting disturbed on a few door sensors but now powered up and works fine after checking & re-connecting all sensors one after the other to eliminate any issues (I ran the alarm without the bell box for a few weeks to make sure no falses etc first).
• Tamper loop on sensors shorted for now to eliminate any possible wiring issues on the tamper loop.
• Internal sounder works fine.
• The 15 yr old original box was ‘tired’ (no led & weathered) so replaced with a new Honeywell branded AG6 box like for like.
• All wires from bell box connected & tamper on bell box tested as working ok (when tamper switch released on box it goes off)
• Bell box was connected as per instructions with panel powered down/battery disconnected and the panel powered back up with all wires in place.
• All wires double checked for ‘SW’/‘ST’ etc before powering up again.
• New bell box has two led’s which are flashing alternate as expected so is powered up ok.

Sponsored Links
It used to work, now it doesn’t.
did you test the old bell before swapping it out?
Can you fire it using by taking bell trigger wire to 0V or 12V

Hi, and 1st of all thank you for reading my question so quickly!

I did test the old box and had similar issues but assumed it was the battery in the old box that was knackered. I did leave it powered up overnight & tested though and still same as now which makes me question if I have a panel issue re the bell box. The panel works in every other respect though.

So, to test it as you suggest:

Do I pull the trigger wire to the bell out of the panel side? And is that the -SW input or the -ST input?

Just to be clear (and I’m sure you know this already in your sleep!) there are 5 wires here:
• TR (tamp return)
• SW
• ST
• 12v +
• 12v -
with the voltage supply being the power, obviously, and the tamper return for the tamp loop/switch on the box then I presume it’s the ‘SW & ST’ we’re interested in here.

Many thanks.

Just quickly googled that & found I just connect 0 v (minus terminal) from the bell box supply (12v) to the SW for sound & ST for the strobe.
Both worked independently.
So from this I assume the bell box is ok? (the new one which I’m happy to use as the ‘comfort’ led’s work which I want and the box looks newer / maintained).

So: does this mean I have a fault on the bell box section of the panel?
If so how would I know apart from this?

Or: have I got a setting that needs changing on the panel?

What intrigues me is that when testing the bell box in Eng mode it doesn’t accept the test for the strobe (i.e it doesn’t flash & emits a ‘not accepted’ noise on the internal sounder when I enter the test code for that) but yet the sounder test does work.

?questions questions?

Sponsored Links
So you know the cable is good but the panel isnt triggering the device. So if you had a multi meter you can measure between the trigger wire and 0V and what is the reading when untested and when tested?

I chanced it as I could see it had to be volts.
So:

Untriggered:
When untested both sound & strobe were + 12v (actually about 12.8v)

When triggered:
• The SW went to 0.5v (using the Eng mode test).
• I can only trigger the strobe by connecting 0v to the ST trigger using a wire (manually). When I do so it drops to exactly zero v.

So:
• The Eng mode test does not trigger the strobe but will trigger the sounder
• The bell box does not respond on sounder nor strobe when alarm is triggered.
• Both sounder & strobe are triggered when brought to 0v by connecting a wire from the negative 12v terminal

This is where I am at now.

So the panel changes state, but looks like the bell isn't seeing the trigger.

A resistor inline with the panel trigger and the trigger wire say 1k or 2k will probably do the trick.

Not sure why it worked before and not now if resistors weren't needed before shouldn't be needed now if same kit involved.

I have some small resistors kicking around so I can try that but first question that pops into my head now is:

• How can I test it as an alarm trigger (as in when the alarm goes off in normal use) but while in Eng mode so I can read the voltages from the panel?

The reason I ask is that when the alarm goes off I assume the voltages on both triggers should drop to zero (or within a threshold of zero) and thus trigger the bell box.
I can’t ‘see’ by doing what I’ve done so far if the panel is simply not responding to a sensor trigger and then dropping the voltage across SW & ST by itself.

Does that make sense to you? I would like to know what a ‘real alarm state’ does to those two triggers as we already know the Eng mode trigger is simply not working on the strobe (but works on the sounder) and that shouldn’t happen surely?

So, in summary: in terms of the strobe at least I can’t get the panel to ‘change state’ in Eng mode and the only way to activate the strobe is to connect 0v to ST manually using a wire.

The bell trigger only drops (as far as I can deduce now) when either:

• Triggered in Eng mode
• Shorted to zero v with a wire link in the panel.

The strobe only drops when:
• Shorted to zero v with a wire link in the panel

So, when the alarm ‘goes off’ it seems (as far as I can deduce) that the two triggers are not going to zero. The reason I suspect this is that when I manually zero them the sounder/strobe works in each case.

So, does that mean I have an issue with the panel?

When I apply the ‘bell test’ in User mode the bell does go off but only for about 3 seconds and there is no strobe (there’s a bell test in both User & Eng modes on this panel - I guess that’s standard anyway but just to be clear)
When I apply the bell test in Eng mode it responds as expected. There’s no response from the strobe in Eng mode as it simply won’t accept the command when I try (on both control pads as I have two btw)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back