Honeywell digital thermostat no display

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

The screen has gone blank on our honeywell digital thermostat (pic attached), I've changed the batteries but nothing.

Any ideas what it could be and if a replacement is required is it easy to replace?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_175536.jpg
    IMG_20210912_175536.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
Daft question, but did you use good quality batteries and insert in the correct polarity?

Did the display go faint before it disappeared?

take out the batteries; check that they are good, clean the terminals with a nylon toothbrush and the lightest possible smear of WD40, check the direction of fitting of the new batteries.

i've heard that Duracell batts are slightly non-standard and not always a good fit.

Some of these timers have a built-in backup battery to keep the clock going during power loss, often bright green cylindrical. Nominally, it is not replaceable, but a person skilled in electronic assembly can solder in a new one. I think they last 5-10 years

is your stat wired? Or wireless?

Did the display go faint before it disappeared?

take out the batteries; check that they are good, clean the terminals with a nylon toothbrush and the lightest possible smear of WD40, check the direction of fitting of the new batteries.

i've heard that Duracell batts are slightly non-standard and not always a good fit.

Some of these timers have a built-in backup battery to keep the clock going during power loss, often bright green cylindrical. Nominally, it is not replaceable, but a person skilled in electronic assembly can solder in a new one. I think they last 5-10 years

is your stat wired? Or wireless?

The stat is wired.. I tried two different types of batteries checking they are in the right way before inserting still blank and didn't go faint before disappearing that I am aware of.

I'll try cleaning the terminals with brush and wd40 as you suggest and let you know if worked.

Sponsored Links
I think in some cases, the display goes blank if the electrical supply from the boiler goes off.

btw, if it is wired, it is usually very easy to fit a replacement thermostat.

the stat is usually just an on-off switch, the boiler is not aware of the timer and thermostat controlling the switch.

You probably have two or three wires (plus an earth) in the cable in the wall. is that right?

Last edited:
Yes I believe its just 3 coloured wires from memory, can it be replaced with a manual one or best to do like for like

you can get a manual one cheaper. I like the electronic programmable ones. You can also get remote control versions operated by a smartphone, or learning your usage pattern, if you want

I don't like cordless or wireless ones, they go wrong too often, and cost more.

honeywell programmable 7-day ones are my favourite.

Examples

with a multimeter accross the coloured wires in the back

and verifying that your boiler is turned on, and the timer is at a "on" period.

The stat is wired..

I'll try cleaning the terminals with brush and wd40 as you suggest and let you know if worked.

Brush and wd40 didn't work unfortunately. Found this article which may be worth a try?

https://polarclouds.co.uk/dt90e-repair/

The digital programmer is lit up And working fine just the room stat that's dead. Does that mean anything by way of electrics are fine?

You could try it, but seems a faff fo me, they’re cheap enough to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back