Honeywell Galaxy 48 (versus Texecom Premier Elite)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited a Honeywell Galaxy 48 which was installed in a commercial building I bought to convert into a house. My plan was to replace it with a Texecom Premier Elite, the reasoning behind that being:

a) I could reuse the peripherals (bell box, PIRs and panic switch) as they are from different manufacturers but are professional grade and look fairly new,
b) I imagine the Honeywell system would be difficult, or even impossible, for a DIYer to reprogram,
c) The Honeywell looks way over-specified for this installation (the building will become a 2-bedroomed bungalow).

But as I already have the complete system, maybe reusing it would be a better option. What's the consensus?

Sponsored Links
The Galaxy is easy enough to program. And if Honeywell's cloud service or the likes of DualCom aren't to your liking, there's always the SelfMon DIY friendly alternative.

The Dimension is a robust panel without all the PSU issues Texecom have had with their 'weak' components and workarounds to 'reduce stress' on them by removing background load tests.

You'll get any help you need here - free :)

I you don't want the Dimension, it will certainly sell on eBay, so please don't put it in landfill.

Disclosure - I run SelfMon. We provide automation devices and web platform for the Honeywell Galaxy range.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2541807916131183

Last edited:
Excellent! Thank you very much for your help.

It has a Versus 3GSTU Redcare interface in it (the building was owned by a large national group). Will that be of any use to me, or would that need a BT Redcare line and subscription?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unlikely to be of any use. Even if a registered installer was to look after your system, they would install a newer IP based module.

Sponsored Links
It would seem silly not to use decent equipment if its in good working order.

Programming anything is easy, doing it properly isn't easy if you don't understand what it is your doing and your not aware the consequences of changing certain parameters. So many fiddle with settings that should be left well alone for example.

As for the Texecom PSU issue/s these have been resolved with the PSU design to my understanding.
However it is true that for grade two systems the PSU load test was turned off (recommended to turn it off) it wasn't a requirement for grade 2 systems in order to prevent failure. However we as an installer didn't turn it off and we did replace the PSU's that failed with the -6 variant. We also raised our concerns regarding on turning something off that had been available on Premier/Elite panels of grade 2 design for a very long time because of a component failure.

If you still have concerns you should maybe contact Texecom for peace of mind if that is the way you are going.

Since the -6 PSU release and still having the load test in place I haven't been aware of any issues with PSU failure. Some older designs have had issues and it can easily be identified on the PSU label if its a -6 or not.

It would seem silly not to use decent equipment if its in good working order.

Programming anything is easy, doing it properly isn't easy if you don't understand what it is your doing and your not aware the consequences of changing certain parameters. So many fiddle with settings that should be left well alone for example.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The system is easily capable of meeting my needs.

Whilst I'm comfortable with playing with it (I've nearly 40 years background in commercial computer systems) I'm also wary of having very little experience with alarm systems (and none with this system!).

As for the Texecom PSU issue/s these have been resolved with the PSU design to my understanding.
However it is true that for grade two systems the PSU load test was turned off (recommended to turn it off) it wasn't a requirement for grade 2 systems in order to prevent failure. However we as an installer didn't turn it off and we did replace the PSU's that failed with the -6 variant. We also raised our concerns regarding on turning something off that had been available on Premier/Elite panels of grade 2 design for a very long time because of a component failure.

If you still have concerns you should maybe contact Texecom for peace of mind if that is the way you are going.

Since the -6 PSU release and still having the load test in place I haven't been aware of any issues with PSU failure. Some older designs have had issues and it can easily be identified on the PSU label if its a -6 or not.

Sorry, was this answer meant for someone else?

I was defending the Texecom PSU situation as it stands now.
Thought it was unfair to raise an issue that has been put to bed some time ago now.

I suppose I just didn't like the way they put it to bed. Basically masking a latent defect which doesn't bode well with regard to future RCCA. The companies dragged out response to the PSU issue made many installers jump ship to Orisec and you can't really blame them.

Anyway, to keep the balance, it's not as if Honeywell are without issues. All Galaxy Ethernet modules prior to V4.14 need to be swapped out due to long term Ethernet interface crashes.

Indeed all manufacturers have issues from time to time, yet to find one that hasn't.
For installers its all about costs and confidence.
Return site visits costs money even with free parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back