Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 - Can ADT disable it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we’ve recently had an unsettling experience with ADT and cancelled our contract to take on the maintenance of our Honeywell G2-12 system ourselves. We took the contract out in 2012 so believe (hope) they have no claim over the hardware any more. As a precaution I’ve disconnect the PSTN line from the system to prevent them from disabling the system remotely but this predictably stops the alarm from being set due to an alert with the PSTN. First question is, do I need to take this precaution if we’re up to date with our bill or are we past the point where they would take such action? After my recent experience I really wouldn’t put anything past them.

Sponsored Links
I'm not an alarm expert but did self-install my G2-12 with some help from this forum. I reckon that if you've disconnected the phone line they won't be able to access any settings, but neither will you without the engineers code, which they won't give you. Have a read through the installation manual and see if you can reset the panel to factory settings so you can gain full control of it. Be aware that ADT seem to 'customise' some panels so yours might not actually be a G2 - my old ADT panel had stickers on it stating it was a Galaxy 8, and had user manuals for a Galaxy 8, but the motherboard wasn't from a Galaxy 8. New G2-12 panels are on ebay for about £30 if you need one.

Your comms fault can be disabled but you need engineer mode access. Also check that you have an external siren - some ADT systems designed to call their Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC) don't. And be aware that the built-in PSTN dialler is designed to act on a 'handshake' from the ARC, and while it should be fairly easy to set it to dial a number of your choice, it won't hang that call up unless it gets it's 'handshake', thus rendering that phone useless and stuck on an incoming call from your alarm.

Have a google at Selfmon, it's a service where you buy a £50 ethernet module then pay £1/month, which gives you full control of your panel via phone app etc, including text messages etc if the alarm is triggered. I've been a happy customer for about 4 years now, as have others on here.

Others on here have far more knowledge than me, but hopefully my info will give some food for thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back