Honeywell ST7100 - farewell to an old friend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning to find that the HW indicator light on my ST7100 was out and that I had no hot water despite normal operation of the heating system. Pressing the 'Change' or 'Extra Hour' HW buttons had no effect - dead as a Dodo. :cry:

After opening up the programmer I detected a faint whiff of electrical 'burning' and could see that the Takamisawa LZ 48H power relay associated with the HW circuit had melted slightly on one side. (As a matter of interest I've had my ST7100 for around 20 years and in the last couple of months changed from HW 'on' 24/7 to two timed on/off periods - maybe this switching demand was too much for it?).

It looks as if the new ST9400C will do the job as a replacement but, given the time of year with deliveries etc., I'm not hopeful of getting this in a reasonable period of time.

My question is - can I link the HW 'Com' (6) and 'On' (8) terminals on the ST7100 backplate to give me what would effectively be a continuously on HW circuit as before (ie bypassing the timer), with the 3-port and cylinder stat looking after the control side of things until I get my hands on the replacement ST9400C?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Simon - tried it and the HW cylinder is now heating up nicely. I've kept the ST7100 body disconnected whilst I have the link in place to avoid any possible interaction with the 'dead' relay etc. I'll remove it once I have a full tank of HW and refit the programmer to get the CH back on.

As a matter of interest I've just received this from Honeywell ...

You may be able to link out the timer, but be aware that there may be a fault on the system that has overloaded the relay which is 3 amp only, so do some current checks before doing any bypass. It may be there is an intermittent short somewhere. ; certainly check the cylinder stat for ‘good condition’.

Thanks again. Your input to the Forum is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back