Honeywell V4073 mid position valve - 8 o'clock gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Honeywell V4073 mid position valve which is working fine, with one exception. If it's in the central position (CH & HW) and the HW reaches temperature, the actuator drives the valve to the CH only position but there's a loud bang from the valve as it reaches position - it sounds like a canon going off and really rattles the pipes!

A bit of testing reveals that this only happens in the CH & HW to CH direction.

With the actuator removed the valve stem moves easily (i.e. with fingers) and smoothly, and there doesn't seem to be anything catching in the valve itself.

Any ideas on possible cause?

I've noticed that the pump runs for most of the time while the valve is moving position, except for a very brief pause at the start. Is this normal, or should the pump shut off until the valve's in position?

I also wondered if excess play in the valve or actuator could be responsible - i.e. the valve slamming shut when the water pressure takes up the play and forces the valve into the HW closed position?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts before going to the time and expense of replacing the valve and/or actuator.

Joe

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back