Hook & Loop Sanding Discs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Assuming the same grit size is there any real difference in performance from various makes of hook & loop sanding discs ?

I was using a pack of cheap 60 grit delta sheets (Silverline) that cost approx £1.50p for ten from my local hardware store but noticed a different make (Faithfull) at £5 for 5.

What are the preferred makes of hook & loop discs/sheets used by the pro's

Rgds

Sponsored Links
Hi Jack

Unfortunately the delta sandpaper market is far more limited that the 180mm D/A disk market. I can only imagine that it is a result of the fact that biggest abrasive market is the automotive industry which tends to favour the 180 diameter disks.

Most stores will sell the red aluminium oxide delta pads, seeming designed for general use, whatever that is.

I have never seen a choice (other than Festool) but the following firm does distribute different types

http://www.national-abrasives.co.uk...ta&PHPSESSID=bf58013a4e71f4ebb48bbf5f437f322f

I know that National Abrasives sell to the likes of Selco and many independents but I don't know if anyone near you sells them.

As a festool DX93 owner I'm (almost) spoiled for choice and can buy a box of 50x 80g (type= Festool brilliant 2) for £12.00 (from a place in putney- http://www.directbrandtools.co.uk/Detail.asp?qsFullScr=Yes&qsProd=DX93E-Plus 567858&qsCat=4&qsSubCat=101 .).

Although they will fit your machine the dust extraction holes will be in the wrong place.

Festool sell a number of different delta paper types and are both good value and quality. Sadly they are the exception to the rule. That said, even they don't offer delta owners the whole of the paper types in their portfolio.

Email me if you want to try an assortment of Festool paper for free.

BTW just found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Bosch-...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aae018a10

very good price if you want 240g...

Overall I rate abrasives by the following makers- Mirka- 3M- Hermes- National Abrasives and Festool (in no particular order).

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
opps,

Thx for the reply, detailed and useful as always.

After posting this topic my detail sander finally packed in today, it had been struggling a bit recently and the motor had sounded like it was going to give up the ghost for the past few days. It was 10 years old and was a B&Q cheapy so no complaints.

I will get another cheapy as I only need it to finish a few more jobs around the house but need it for tomorrow so a visit to "The Sheds" is called for.

I hope you are keeping well and are busy enough with work.

Regards
Jack

Sponsored Links
Opps is that festool a dust extraction sander, been looking at the mirka ceros system and wondering if its worth the big splash of cash?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back