Hoover oven thermostat/heater issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I’ve got a pair of 7 year old-ish hoover built in ovens, both the same model and recently they both seem to be struggling to reach the temperature set by the controls, one in particular more than the other, seemingly can’t get above about 150C.
I’m guessing there’s no obvious way of knowing if this is a thermostat or heater (element?) issue?
I’m also not sure how easy these things are to access.
I was planning on buying a cheap oven thermometer as a next step, to see if that gives a clue?

I realise I could potentially also start swapping stuff between them like the thermostat, to narrow things down, but not really sure how easy that’d be or if it’s worth it.

Opinions welcome, not really sure where to start.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Cable on ovens correct size and good condition.
Never thought this would effect the performance but it will.
Check cable rating match oven and connections are good.

Buy the thermometer. Perhaps the design has two heater elements and one has failed; if you can access the plug and connect a power monitor you can assess whether any setting causes the oven to draw its full rated load. Also try putting them both on the same setting for a short while and feel the top, sides, back and floor inside - are any warmer in one oven than the other, indicating a heater element behind may not be working?

Consider too that it could be door seal issues rather than heater failure that can lead to a lack of temperature build up in the compartment

Cable on ovens correct size and good condition.
Never thought this would effect the performance but it will.
Check cable rating match oven and connections are good.
Thanks, these have something like 1.5mm (I couldn’t believe it) flexes to the FCU but they’re then run in 4mm to the board.

Sponsored Links
Buy the thermometer. Perhaps the design has two heater elements and one has failed; if you can access the plug and connect a power monitor you can assess whether any setting causes the oven to draw its full rated load. Also try putting them both on the same setting for a short while and feel the top, sides, back and floor inside - are any warmer in one oven than the other, indicating a heater element behind may not be working?

Consider too that it could be door seal issues rather than heater failure that can lead to a lack of temperature build up in the compartment
Thanks. They’re wired to FCUs not plugged in unfortunately. I’ll do some further investigation and get the thermometer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back