Hoover Quattro 1300 WS130 does not turn or spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I moved house 2 years ago to a house which came with a (used - but reasonably new) washing machine - a Hoover Quattro 1300 WS130.

Its been great for two years handling the family of four washing until recently.

First problem was just before christmas when I heard "rapid clickng" when it was empyting, so I opened the washer up and found bits of a plastic gift card (credit card sized thing) in the bottom drain pipes. I think I've got most if not all of that out, so I buttoned it all back up and it worked again this time without rapid clicking (there was a bit of plastic card in the pumpy fan bit which made the clicking) for about 5 days.

5 days further down the line of trouble free washing, pools of water started to appear under the washer - I found eventually that it had nothing to do with my retightening of hoses - all this was OK, but a blocked or frozen outlet pipe - which I still have to unblock - I am running the pipe out up into my sink at the moment and the washer has been fine again for a few days.

Yesterday I heard some more rapid clicking but this was a different type of clicking noise - so I thought I'd let it finish thinking it was something inside the tub such as a bra wire or something, but on reloading the washer it will now not turn at the start nor will it spin or move when manually cycled through the range of wash. The washer fills and empties normally and no unusual noise is heard whilst its doing this.

Could the brushes just "go" immediately or could it be something more sinister or easy to fix - perhaps because I have my drain pipe "higher up into the sink"?

I did have (and still do) my old washer in the garage on standby from my previous house - its my trusty Indesit 1263W washer which I have diagnosed brushes for originally and posted some piccies to this site so I can pull this out of the garage and use (if it wakes up from its 2 yr sleep!) :) I have changed bearings, Motor Control PCB and brushes before on my Indesit so know my way around it. - But its just this Hoover issue which is foxing me at present - can anyone shed any light for any easy checks before I start to swap washers around?

It may be brushes but is it common for a washer drum just to stop working beacuse of brushes? I was under the impression the first thing to go was the spin but the washer could perhaps still turn during initial normal wash?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Just an update to the above post...

I forgot to mention the word "coincidence" in the above post - its all too much of a coincidence to me I think, however ...
I have had another delve and have taken off the motor - easier than my Indesit!!! Just a connector block, a ground spade clip and two bolts - without nuts on the other end (unlike my Indesit!) - marvellous!

Anyway I have removed the brushes and noticed that they are very low - they must have only just been touching the motor spindle as when I took them off, the carbon sticks did not pop out any further ...

So, I will hunt down some new brushes, fit and report back.

But to me its still too much of a coincidence - especially hearing that clicking noise ...

Feel free to submit your thoughts in the mean time until I get the new brushes fitted - as I fear this is not the ultimate cause of my drum not spinning ... only the next 24 hours will tell ...

Do these washers have an internal fuse to the motor somewhere perhaps or other reasons why the motor wont turn? It would be interesting in furthering my knowledge with this beastie.

Thank you.

brushes are no good replace them and it will work .unless the comutator is damaged on the motor try brushes first

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your post rocks1, its much appreciated.

I have now ordered some new brushes - they will be with me by Tuesday hopefully.

In the mean time I have taken the plastic casing off the brushes and edged the inner bits forward a couple of millimeters which the casing allows for with the "notches", then cleaned them up, refitted and fired up the washer again.

The washer drum now turns, but I fear only for a few more washes (the two millimeter worth of carbon :) ) - this should allow me to get the kids school clothes at least washed for Monday, and then I will take apart again and fit the new bushes when they arrive - hopefully Tuesday.

Now to tackle the external pipe blockage!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back