Hoover Six 1200 washer/dryer door broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a 4-year old Hoover washer/dryer that has been pretty good up till now (well, OK the fabric conditioner hasn't rinsed out of the drawer properly/at all for a while now but you can't have everything).
The door hinge has just broken (one half anyway) and I'm pretty sure I've identified the replacement as either 004 or 005 herehttp://www.vacuumworld.co.uk/acatalog/Vacuum_World_HOOVER_CANDY_177.html#a927
Q: How much dismantling is necessary :?: Do the hinge retaing screws have captive nuts:?:
(Am currently wedging door shut against oposite wall but not happy with this arrangement :!: Can't afford to be without m/c for more than 2 days)
Appreciate advice
thanks

Sponsored Links
you could try partialy removing the door seal and looking behind it it see if there are captive nuts

you could try partialy removing the door seal

Hmm, door seal is pretty firmly stuck and I think it might get damaged if I even partially remove it. I can feel the hinge screws through the seal but can't tell if nuts are captive or not.
What I'm trying to avoid is small job turning into major production. M/C is shoe-horned into far end of small galley kitchen and difficult to work on in situ. (Getting it out when it finally croaks will be a big PITA :!: )

If I do take the screws out and hear nuts falling down into the innards I'm going to feel mighty tempted to rivet the new hinge on. Wondering what I'd be risking exactly :?:

you will find that the door seal will come off, but it is secured in place (usually in its "rim") by either a wire or "string" there should be a "clip" of some description that you should remove first. I can show you a h.p one if you like

Sponsored Links
Ah, thought there was something securing the seal. Are these re-usable items though :?:

Bearing in mind we're in the middle of a 4-day holiday and Yellow Pages ads all sound a bit 'trade only' I really don't want to break anything that I can't easily replace. (Plus I've never delved into the guts of one of these before although I don't anticipate any great terrors, especially since I see you can actually get Haynes Manuals for the things http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859603289/ref=pd_rhf_p_1/026-9735530-5768459 !!!!!!)

cannaefixit said:
Ah, thought there was something securing the seal. Are these re-usable items though :?:

depends how heavy handed you are at removing it. I never broke one in all the m/c i fixed (lost a few though)

Breezer wrote:
depends how heavy handed you are at removing it.
Well I'm not famously heavy-handed or anything but, if somethings going to break, it's going to do it when you've got no spares :!:
(lost a few though)

I think I'd better wait until Wednesday when the shops are open. Thanks for the advice.

On Hotpoints there isn't a captive nut, don't know if this will apply to Hoovers but for info - there was a small plate with two threaded holes inside the machine. As I was replacing the hinge I asked myself the same question and realised that when I took the second screw out the plate would fall gracefully into the bottom of the machine. I undid one screw, loosened the second, twisted the hinge and then replaced the first screw into the plate (if you get my drift). Removed second screw, fitted replacement hinge, replaced second screw loosely, removed first screw, lined up hinge correctly and replaced first screw. The only reason I went to all that trouble is because my m/c is a pain to withdraw. Anyway it worked for me.

Unfortunately on this model (actually a WDM120) the hinge has two hooks on it so it has to be lifted up slightly to remove. The good news was that the plate which the screws fasten into was either captive or seized in place so hard that changing it over was a doddle:!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back