Hopper overflow and water seeping under flagstones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could this cause problems to the house? Grid in hopper at side of house overflows in heavy rainfall.

Attachments

• grid overflow.jpg
    grid overflow.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
How old is the house?

Start by scooping out the mud and stones from the gully (not "hopper"). This will expose the outlet. Is it broken or blocked?

Look around the gully. Is there any sign that it has sunk or been "repaired" since the house was built?

Where is the DPC?

What manholes can you see?

How old is the house?

Start by scooping out the mud and stones from the gully (not "hopper"). This will expose the outlet. Is it broken or blocked?

Look around the gully. Is there any sign that it has sunk or been "repaired" since the house was built?

Where is the DPC?

Built 1974

There's a manhole about 10 yards away in the driveway. Noone has repaired it I don't think. Thanks.

If 1974, it may have a soakaway for rainwater under the garden. If it was built for gutter water, it will not be suitable for kitchen and bathroom water.

Older houses usually have broken clay drains, yours may just be blocked. Start by cleaning out what you can.

Have a look under the manhole and see if you can work out which drains flow into it

Sponsored Links
How old is the house?

Where is the DPC?

I lifted the grid and it was pretty full with sludge, i scooped it out and disposed of it. I then poured a kettle full of hot water down there.

Try a hose. Does it run away or spill over?

Is the outlet at the bottom or one side?

Was the sludge mud? Or cooking fat? Or congealed washing powder?

It's only from the top gutter, not from the kitchen etc. It's only rainfall so i'd say it was natural stuff like dust and leaves from years back.

That's good. Bale and hose it clean. Look in your manholes for the water flowing through.

However, if it collects more mud, it may be due to a break underground allowing water out and mud in.

That's good. Bale and hose it clean. Look in your manholes for the water flowing through.

However, if it collects more mud, it may be due to a break underground allowing water out and mud in.

i poured kettle water in, the water level goes down very slowly

Still blocked then.

Hot water and soda crystals help with grease, but not with mud.

Still blocked then.

Hot water and soda crystals help with grease, but not with mud.

Had top get a professional company out, luckily they said it was just lots of soft sludge that could be broken up.

I don't want that to happen again, do you have any tips on when often to do regular maintenance and what sort of maintenance do you suggest? Gauzes over the grid for a start?

If it's just mud, is it washing off the paving? Roof dirt is usually quite small, though new concrete tiles shed sand.

You can fit a plastic grid but it might be the same as you have. Some people put a kitchen sieve under the downpipe for leaves and moss.

Keep your paving swept and do not hose it into the drain.

If it's just mud, is it washing off the paving? Roof dirt is usually quite small, though new concrete tiles shed sand.

You can fit a plastic grid but it might be the same as you have. Some people put a kitchen sieve under the downpipe for leaves and moss.

Keep your paving swept and do not hose it into the drain.

What does that 'mud' consist of? Years of dust? is it all things from the outside coming into the grid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back