Horrible sewer smell from outside pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It comes and goes.
It’s from the outside pipe that the toilet waste travels in (see attached) It’s blocked a few times but this time the toilet is not blocked. It flushes fine. Why the smell?
3A7BE8DF-CBA4-4951-95A3-95BF962F60FA.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The rodding point in your pic is broken and looks like the seal is perished.

If you replace that the smell may disappear

Long shot but any ideas where I would get a new cover. The system is very old. I don't want to have to replace the whole thing.

Sponsored Links
I'd measure opening diameter, L-R and Top to bottom, plus spacing between bolt hole centres.

If you cant find anything to fit, get a piece of flat steel or similar cut to approx. size, drill the holes as required, wire brush down the mating surface, put a bead of mastic around the edge, then tighten bolts to clamp cover down and let mastic cure to seal it.

I'd measure opening diameter, L-R and Top to bottom, plus spacing between bolt hole centres.

If you cant find anything to fit, get a piece of flat steel or similar .
Even a piece of plastic fascia (eurocell) - the mastic will seal it.

Just as a test, take off both bits of the cover, put a a piece of pvc bag over the hole ( freezer bag or thicker) and put the cover back over, punching holes for the screws. See if it stops tge smell.

Just as a test, take off both bits of the cover, put a a piece of pvc bag over the hole ( freezer bag or thicker) and put the cover back over, punching holes for the screws. See if it stops tge smell.
Unless Im missing something here but all that seem to do is use two layers of polythene bag as a gasket which isn't thick enough to form a seal.now if you put a bag over the top of the cover wrapped around pipe and gaffer tapped both sides that should seal it enough to test

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back