Horstmann 425 swap to Hive Dual Channel Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Aware this has been asked multiple times but them examples show slight different wiring to what I have connected with my Horstmann 425 Taira.

I have sussed out the current wiring to find that the red wire is connected to the neutral wire of a cable which looks to be possibly the thermostat??

The L and N wires are pretty straight forward but how do i determine which wire goes to which on the Hive unit?

The system is a gravity fed system with pumped central heating with no zone valves.

Boiler is an old Ideal Mexico 2.

20230305_140642.jpg

See attached picture of the actual wiring -

20230305_132343.jpg

As for the thermostat, there are 2 wires here. I'd have to chase the cable back as it's mentioned that it fully needs removing.

20230305_194553.jpg

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Backplate appears to be “industry standard”, so perhaps just remove the link wires as Hive dual channel has the links built in and snap on, setting up as gravity obviously. Also the thermostat can be bridged in a terminal strip or just set to maximum and Hive would take over.

It is basically a matter of identifying what each wire at the Horstmann Tiara does. The diagram below will identify the terminals for you

Diadem.JPG

The Earth Neutral and Live wires are straight forward and will go to the corresponding terminals at the Hive receiver.

The other wires you are interested in are terminal (1) 'Hot water on' and terminal (4) 'Central Heating on' [CH is mislabelled CW in the drawing above btw]

You can disregard the links, the Hive Dual Channel version has these made internally. Remove them and discard them.

Then these wires simply go to the terminals at the Hive that have the same function.

Hive.JPG

So you will be using:

Earth = Earth
N = Neutral
L = Live
3 = Hot Water on
4 = Central heating on

The old thermostat needs taking out of service so that it doesn't interfere with the Hive. This can be done by joining together the two wires in the thermostat terminals 1 and 3. It can be done at the thermostat end, or at the cables origin,and then the old cable and thermostat can be removed.

Don't forget to set the Hive to Gravity Mode of operation.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back