Hot bath tap and cold sink tap stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The hot tap for the bath and the cold tap for the sink have both stopped working. They both turn fully but only a tiny drip comes out. They are both situated in the same room. I would understand more if it was say both the hot taps that had stopped but one of each makes no sense to me.. HELP

Sponsored Links
Assuming all other taps work, I suspect it's just a freaky coincidence and both need new washers.

Hi Dextrous,

Thank you for your reply. I have been able to undo the plastic handles of the taps but taking off the small circular cover and un-screwing the screw. Ive been unable to turn the actual tap screw to get to the washers, I dont want to force it as im also having trouble turning the stop-cocks too. Is there anything I can do to loosen these? I dont really want to flood the house lol

Sponsored Links
Have you actually pulled the handles off? If so there should be a larger nut that will require a spanner.

But, before you do this, can you advise what sort of system you have - in particular whether the water is mains (combi) or gravity fed (via a cylinder via a tank in the loft)?

In any case, you need to turn off the supply to the taps - there may be isolator valves under the sink, or you'll have to turn off the mains it it's mains fed, or you'll have to shove a stopper into the outlet of the cold water tank (if there's not a gate valve on it if you're lucky). Depends what you've got.

Hi, Yes the handles are off and the larger nut is visable but is extremely stiff, so much so that it feels like it may snap in half if i turn them any harder.

As for the system, the hot water comes from a combi boiler on the same level (i live in a flat) and there is a cold tank in the loft for the cold water so i presume the sink cold will be from there.

Also ive found all the stop-cocks but again they hardly budge and I dont want to break them, well not tonight anyway! Is there anything to help loosen the larger nut? Like WD40?

Would I be better off replacing the entire tap mechanism rather than just the washers? Or will that become a huge job?

Thanks again for your replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back