Cold Tap on Bath - No Running Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All.

I'll try and describe as best a possible on this.
In our bathroom, we have a sink (separate hot and cold taps), and a bath (mixer hot and cold tap - where both come out of the same spout?).

When we arrived back from holiday during the summer, the cold tap on the bath didn't turn fully. This wasn't an issue, as it was still running at an ok level.
This morning, we tried turning the cold tap on, which does still turn, but not cold water comes out.

The sink taps still work fine, and the hot tap on the bath mixer also fine.

Any possible reasons why, and is it easily fixed?

Thanks.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Perfect.

Can you remove the screw, then the head? Then remove the head gear from the main body of the tap with a spanner? Obviously, turn water off first.

With the head gear in you hand, place the head back on and turn it to see of the washer goes up and down.

I suspect that your cold valve is knackered. If it is, take it to a plumber's merchants, where they may be able to supply a tap reviver to fit. If not, tap replacement will be required.

Sponsored Links
Thanks WS66.

Silly question now, but any ideas where I might find where to turn the water off?
Can't believe i've lived here for 5 years, and never even thought about it :oops:

If its a house, ground floor, poss. under kitchen sink, or a cupboard somewhere. Detective work needed.

If you have tanks in the roof though, the supply may come from the tank, which will need its feed to the taps turning off.

To find out which, find the stop cock, turn off, then see if water still comes out of bathroom basin COLD tap. If yes, you probably have tank fed cold taps.

You need to know how to turn off water/gas/elec. in case of emergency.

Well done Spirit, that was very well explained, full marks and go to the top of the class. You may sit next to the teacher (female of course)

Andy

Now you've sorted that one can I pinch the thread?

I've broken the tiny little horseshoe shaped clip that sits on the tap spindle in my kitchen mixer just under that dome type thingie . Can you get those little clips?

Cheers.

Just to say thanks Spirit.
I'll have a look tomorrow, as the little-un is about to go to bed.
I'm assuming the stop valve will be on the ground floor (3-storey house). I know the gas and electricity points - sods law I don't know the same point for the water, and that's what I need.

The missus has managed to get a trickle out of it tonight, but will need sorting.

Might be a plumber situation for my skills.

when i had an issue with a tap like that a while back the jumper? wasn't moving up and down correctly. Once dismantled and tighten up everything was fine. You can get replacements of them tho if you can't fix it

Just to say thanks Spirit.
I'll have a look tomorrow, as the little-un is about to go to bed.
I'm assuming the stop valve will be on the ground floor (3-storey house). I know the gas and electricity points - s***s law I don't know the same point for the water, and that's what I need.

The missus has managed to get a trickle out of it tonight, but will need sorting.

Might be a plumber situation for my skills.

If you get stuck, ask a neighbour who looks like he may be practical where his stopcock is. Apologies if that sounds rude!

If you can get the water turned off, and have a screwdriver and adjustable spanner, its very basic.

Post again with pics if you get stuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back