Hot it's not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating/hot water system consists of a Gloworm Micron non pressurised gas boiler, standard hot water tank with feeder tank in the loft. The hot water isn't getting hot enough and we have to rely on the immersion which is costing me a fortune. I think also when the heating is on (not been on much lately) the rads aren't getting as hot as they should.

Obviously I will be getting an expert out when I can get round to it, but what are your thoughts? The thermostat on the water tank is set at 60, is that what is recommended? One other thing; I've noticed that when the boiler starts up it often cuts out again immediately, (less than a second after starting) what could that be down to?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the boiler is not getting up to temperatureor water is not circulating correctly. Is the pump spinning ok?

I take it you have checked the boiler stat setting has not been reduced lately by accident?

This should be set to approx 3/4 of full temp. If this is ok could be the boiler stat gone faulty or could be simply that it needs a good service. I take it you are not getting any warning lights on the boiler and having to reset it?

Has it had the pcb replaced? The originals were a common problem with the microns.

Ah OK I was forgetting that the boiler has another temperature control :oops:. It had been turned down low (by previous occupants) so it should be at 3/4? The instructions only ever say turn the knob to the "desired temperature" and gives no other guidance. I'll turn it up and see if that fixes things then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back