Gas Central Heating Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vented gas central heated system. Currently when the domestic water is running at the same time as the heating, hot water overflows into the feeder/expansion tank in the loft, this does not happen when either the hot water or heating run separately.

I have a Potterton Profile boiler (dial set to 3), Dyson pump, ACL Lifestyle Mid Position motorised valve, a hot water storage tank/immersion heater (dial set to 55c) is part of the system.

Please advise how I can stop the hot water overflow.

Sponsored Links
You will have a blockage in cold feed where it joins the system and around that area.The only way is to cut out and clean or replace affected pipes.Thats a starting point and after that you may and I stress may need a powerflush.

Thnx for prompt reply.

I am puzzled how a cold feed blockage creates a hot water overflow problem, are you able to explain please?

without going into detail
your system is under positive pressure the vent/cold feed are neutral and negative pressure to the pump.
so a blocked cold feed will result in the water going up the vent.

Sponsored Links
Thnx again.

Looks like I'll need to go back to school and redo physics to understand it fully!!

I'll get a plumber in....

Thnx for prompt reply.

I am puzzled how a cold feed blockage creates a hot water overflow problem, are you able to explain please?
Cold feed from the headertank (the small one) not the cold feed from your storage tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back