HOT motor in Honeywell V4073A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, plse excuse any glaring errors as I am abit of a novice here.

I have had problems with my Honeywell v4073a mid position valve

The central heating was not coming on at all ... hot water was fine

I found that by pulling the manual lever towards me (very difficult), it would make an electrical connection and then the boiler would fire up okay. But then during the night with no heating on, the lever would sometimes reposition itself and therefore break the connection and we would have no heating in the morning! We have been in house for 10years with no previous problems.

I decided on replacing the powerhead as I was quoted £265 to drain down system, replace valve and powerhead unit, refil system with anti rust stuff.

I have only done the job today and all seems well ( I think).

However, I am VERY concerned at how HOT the motor is when the valve is in the Central Heating position (clearly I still have the cover off the powerhead). You CANNOT hold your finger on it ... just too hot. This is the case even when the boiler is not functioning (ie. Hot water temp fine and room thermostat satisfied). Might this be normal ?? I did not notice this whilst diagnosing the initial fault.

I have only taken off the 5 wires of the old powerhead (took photo beforehand) and replaced exactly with 5 wires of new powerhead (as per photo ... checked and double checked). These wires are in a Honeywell Junction box (6 cables in/out).

When valve is in Hot Water only position, it cools down. I have not really examined the mid-position case (valve certainly stops mid position when both in demand).

So my question please is ... should the motor in the powerhead really be THAT hot when in the central heating position?

Thanks for any advice you may have (and Season Greetings too)

priyp

Sponsored Links
Wow ... thanks for speedy reply. I can sleep easier tonight. I was just surprised how HOT the motor was to touch. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back